• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Franklin Arms short barreled firearm with rifle buttstock but no ATF paperwork?

So they designed a rifle to shoot a round that was designed to be suppressed, but designed it in such a way that if you suppress the round you will almost certainly destroy your suppressor. They made all of the “demo” guns in 5.56 because “ammo is cheaper” and it can only get “about 3-4 moa” out of a little 55 grain pill. How poorly will it stabilize a big sub-sonic .300blk round? And if I have to buy the nerf football just to use it, it better at least be the nerf whistler. Those things were awesome.
This is the absolute BEST description of this “firearm” that I’ve seen so far.

I work for a class 3 dealer/ SOT and this is pretty common knowledge around our parts?

I was probably wrong abOut 80% lowers seeing as none of us touch em nor deal in them

I'd say no on "common knowledge". That article I linked and you stating it are the first I've heard. If we didn't have to do it, then why would everyone have gone thru the trouble? I'd suspect that nearly everyone who pays a $200 stamp plans on owning the gun forever. I'd suspect many are held in trust and would never be sold. As to removing it from the registry, you'd still need it engraved if it ever went to someone else.

Fellow employees have called for clarification a while ago in regards to this argument and have gotten the same answer from the BATFE. I encourage you to call and ask for yourself.

I'd say no on "common knowledge". That article I linked and you stating it are the first I've heard. If we didn't have to do it, then why would everyone have gone thru the trouble? I'd suspect that nearly everyone who pays a $200 stamp plans on owning the gun forever. I'd suspect many are held in trust and would never be sold. As to removing it from the registry, you'd still need it engraved if it ever went to someone else.
Sorry man I meant common knowledge within my store, not within the community. I didn’t word that very well.

Sorry man I meant common knowledge within my store, not within the community. I didn’t word that very well.

No offense taken (I think) ;) Back when I was looking into SBR stuff (a few years back) I'd never stumbled upon this. It doesn't hurt to have it on there I guess in the event you ever get rid of it. Clear as mud as usual with NFA stuff.

I'm with you, but read the article I linked earlier. That's the only interpretation I've read that is different than what you cited. It sounds like that guy might have asked an agent and maybe received an answer different than anything documented.
I copy and pasted the ATF PDF so its written down by them that the maker must follow manufacturing requirements.

I was thinking the same. Would save me some butt pain if true/verified.
Ain’t that the truth!

This **** took 3 weeks and cost me $90

Still better than buying that $2k “firearm” though.

D3DB6E67-C588-4981-9D75-C29EC4699855.jpeg

No offense taken (I think) ;) Back when I was looking into SBR stuff (a few years back) I'd never stumbled upon this. It doesn't hurt to have it on there I guess in the event you ever get rid of it. Clear as mud as usual with NFA stuff.
Oh yeah I agree 100% that why I encourage people to call for themselves haha. Depending on when you call you may receive a different answer and I’d love to hear if someone does. It helps offset funds at least and let people enjoy their SBR while they get around to it if they’re nervous about it. Personally, local BATFE field agents have seen, handled, and inspected my weapons before during audits and they aren’t engraved and never said a word about any of it. No need to go personally asking but I sure didn’t grab a chisel when I saw them and start etching haha. We have called, and the answer reflected what the article you referenced said

Back
Top Bottom