• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fraudulent charged on my BofA debit card.

Happened to me on 3 straight cards from chase. The common place I used all 3 was Conyers Subway . Have not used card there sinse. No more fraud charges sinse .

^ this is what i was going to say to watch out for. if you frequent the same resturant its always easy for the cashier to snap a quick pic or write down some numbers if they take your card to the back

Most of the time it is not the bank, but a vendor. Some are not so reputable and participate on the sale of our card numbers. One place sold the number and it was used fraudulently within a couple of hours, nationwide. On one occasion, I became the owner of a fraudulent website. Take a look where you use it. I figured out the vendors that tried to get me and do not visit them anymore. I reported it to the Federal Trade Commission and also turned it over to the local police, who (believe it or not) do look into it. Now, when I travel, I only use my credit card, because I won't have to change out my debit card with no notice when it happens again. Good luck.

Thanks, I just hate using credit cards for reasons, but I may start doing that and just paying them off once a month.

Thanks, I just hate using credit cards for reasons, but I may start doing that and just paying them off once a month.
There is no penalty for making several payments a month on CC. Just pay it weekly and it will be almost the same as a Debit Card.

There are good peeps out there. Here's a quick story for all you Vets! Way back when I was in college I used to bartend....paid my way through school, but always had cash. Well one day I had like $1600 or so in my wallet as I was to pay that semesters tuition the next morning. I must have dropped my wallet in the parking lot of the college apartment complex I was living in at the time and had no idea. I had just gotten out of the shower when someone knocked on the door. This guy holding a little girl handed me my wallet (thank God I had my current address on my DL). Anyways, I was stunned. Every penny accounted for. I tracked the guy down as I had to meet this guy and give him a few bucks for his integrity. He was an Army guy on leave from Afghanistan. :usa2:

In Canada they bring a portable scanner to your table so you never lose sight of your card. I'm sure that cuts down on some scams.

About a year back I had my debit account at Wells Fargo cleaned out. What was strange is that they did it through a series of cash withdrawals rather than by using it as a Visa card.

The only place I'd used it in the last week or so was at my local branch's ATM, and when I went by to talk to them, the manager and I walked out and found a skimmer built right into their machine. A really good one too, it matched the ATM slot perfectly.

They put the money back in my account within 20 minutes, and I had a replacement card when I left. I noticed the next week when I stopped by they also had a brand new ATM installed.

My debit card has been hacked three times. 2 times for small amounts 1 timme for substantial change. One of the small charges was for 49.50. The bank told me that this probably means that it was random, because charges under $50 don't require verification.

The large hack, I'm pretty sure a hotel stole the number.

I had the same thing happen to me for $426 from nike.com and a $749 charge with Walmart.com, but I use Chase. This was the 3rd time my account with Chase was hacked, we dropped Chase and switched everything to a different bank.

Debit card 4 times in 2 years. 1st was a $1500 computer from best buy in Washington state. One was $100 for pizza from Domino's in orlando. Suntrust makes good, just got to wait a week for a new card. Credit card, one time for over $3k in goods, but it was traced back to a waitress in a restaurant that I ate at in Dallas 2 months earlier. That took about 3-4 weeks to get cleared up.

Debit scammed once. CC many times. So far "I" have bought designer luggage from Eddie Bauer, plane tickets to Turkey (LOL, ****hole vacation I reckon), rented a large tour bus in Guadalajara, a PC at Best Buy in FL and for some reason many times I've been hundreds of miles away but still managed to buy $125 worth of fuel (it's always $125) in Dahlonega. Always Citibank. Only Citibank.

Back
Top Bottom