• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Free cat

martin_j001

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
91   0
Reaction score
Ok, so figured I'd throw this out and see if anyone wants to attempt to help... if you aren't really a cat person and cat lover, stop reading here, cause this isn't for you...

One of our cats, Stewie, is an older (born in the winter of 2004/5), black, male cat. He was a stray at our apartment complex and we took him in, got him his shots, and got him declawed on all 4 paws (our other cat at the time was declawed on all 4 by her previous owners, we felt it important to keep the playing field level)...we now know better, but we can't change this anymore...

So, fast forward to now, Stewie is 11 years old, and a very nervous/anxious cat. He is one of four we have at this time. Since our daughters arrival last year, his anxiety level seems to have gone up a bit, and he has lately taken to peeing somewhere in our house every night or day. We have cameras so we know it's him. He spends a majority of the day up in our bedroom or under the bed, comes down to eat/drink occasionally as well as pee somewhere. We have had him checked for damn near everything--urinalysis, blood work, etc. He is on Prozac (been on this quite a while actually) currently, as well as Xanax. We have discussed every little detail of his life with our vet (litter box placement, litter usage, foods, etc, etc, etc) and he is not sure what else to do either. Stewie is very, very sweet and seems to love our daughter and snuggling with us, but we cannot figure out what the problem is. We are going to get in touch with an animal behavior expert at UGA, but I'm afraid their services might be out of our range of affordability at this time, and I'm very afraid that throwing yet more money at this issue may still not solve the problem, as even the vet says this is an absolute last resort to try.

So...I'm wondering and thinking that maybe the root of this issue for Stewie is just the entire environment/dynamic in our home...my wife and daughter being home all day right now, the other three cats, jealousy about our attention being given to our daughter, who knows. So, before we take any action that cannot be undone, I'm wondering if there's a cat lover out there who may be interested in taking Stewie and seeing if he is not better off with them--preferably a home where he is the only pet, and no young kids. I've tried to get this out there in some local groups on FB, but I'm tired of hearing "we don't support rehoming animals" or some other such BS...so your preference is that we put him down? thanks (but not really) for being helpful /sarcasm

Obviously if Stewie's behavior continued we would be willing to take him back and go from there if needed. I'm just trying to consider and take advantage of any possible options out there before resorting to something that will be very hard on my wife and I or will leave me wondering "what if we tried..." for the rest of my life.

I'll get pics for anyone interested.

If you're going to go to an expert of sorts anyway, why not email your story to the guy that does the My Cat From Hell show? If your story gets picked for an episode, I doubt you would need to worry too much about cost, just the inconvenience of production... With the other cats and the new baby, my guess would be that it's an older cat that's trying to reclaim any of its former territory or attention. Have you tried giving him his own "safe place"? If he's comfortable in the one room, then give him a litter box and food/water dish in there. Leave the normal stuff out where it is for the other pets. Hopefully the open ability to explore will still allow him to slowly normalize, but he should feel safe enough in the one area to not have to go pee everywhere to keep trying to claim that same safety. If it doesn't work after a little while, you might need to block him in the room for a little bit to keep him from peeing everywhere like he's become accustomed to and realize there's a box he can use again. I'm not having the same problem with one of my cats, but a similar one, so I know how you feel about wanting to try everything. Good luck.

With a one year old learning to move around on her own, we cannot reasonably provide litter boxes (and the mess that comes with them) in every room of the house--especially rooms where we want to encourage our daughter to play and learn, it's just not feasible for us. We already have a room of the house that has been re-floored (to make accidents easier to clean up), and has numerous litter boxes scattered around in it, as well as cat trees, etc, etc. And as bad as I would feel about taking further actions, we are not willing to put up with this situation for a significant amount of time longer. I am working extra hours, my wife has full time work taking care of the munchkin, keeping up the house and still working part time from home...we just simply don't have the resources to continue being able to play "find the pee" on a daily basis...

With a one year old learning to move around on her own, we cannot reasonably provide litter boxes (and the mess that comes with them) in every room of the house--especially rooms where we want to encourage our daughter to play and learn, it's just not feasible for us. We already have a room of the house that has been re-floored (to make accidents easier to clean up), and has numerous litter boxes scattered around in it, as well as cat trees, etc, etc. And as bad as I would feel about taking further actions, we are not willing to put up with this situation for a significant amount of time longer. I am working extra hours, my wife has full time work taking care of the munchkin, keeping up the house and still working part time from home...we just simply don't have the resources to continue being able to play "find the pee" on a daily basis...

Totally understandable. Still think you misunderstood me a little bit though. Right now you have litterboxes and such in the one area, and you're playing find the pee everywhere anyway. I'm suggesting one extra, even just a smaller secondary one, in the room Stewie hides in. One small box in the one extra spot to hopefully end or at least confine the game of find the pee from the whole house to the one room. To me, that would seem like far less random pee, and essentially less overall number of hazards for your daughter. Hopefully the cat will use it as a learning curve, and you can eventually even ditch the extra box.

Totally understandable. Still think you misunderstood me a little bit though. Right now you have litterboxes and such in the one area, and you're playing find the pee everywhere anyway. I'm suggesting one extra, even just a smaller secondary one, in the room Stewie hides in. One small box in the one extra spot to hopefully end or at least confine the game of find the pee from the whole house to the one room. To me, that would seem like far less random pee, and essentially less overall number of hazards for your daughter. Hopefully the cat will use it as a learning curve, and you can eventually even ditch the extra box.

I understood just fine, but do not think that will help in our case, and is still far easier said than done when dealing with a 13 month old learning to move around and all.

Back
Top Bottom