• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freezer chest startup surge power requirements

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Thinking about adding a freezer chest (5 to 10 cu ft) to our prep setup, and I'm wondering what the startup power draw is like. I know the running watts are low. Just want to figure out if I can keep it running with a 800w/1000w genny, if the lights went out.

Any input appreciated.

Realizing there are all sorts of models out there and your mileage will vary, here's what I found.

Refrigerator/Freezer Combo - 1200 watts startup, 800 watts running

Deep Freezer - 500 watts startup, 500 watts running

Info derived from a site called generatorgrader.com. Allegedly that info is supposed to inform you on what size generator to buy. They MAY be overstating just to help sell larger generators! They may also be baking the safety margin into the numbers as is somewhat typical for elec-chickens to do. You only load a given circuit up to 80% of it's rated value.....that sort of thing.

IMG_2107.jpg

Assume a typical chest freezer has a continuous 5 amp draw, as stated above, startup surge could be 2 times that amount. From the 5 amps continuous, at 120 VAC, your running wattage is 600 watts (P=I x E) and starting watts at 1200 or so. I just checked a new Samsung refrigerator/freezer and it says 3 amps. If you assume the 3 Amps or 360 watts, that could still be over 700 watts surge. I would say you need a much larger generator. Keep in mind that a fully stocked freezer doesn't run continuously but, when it does run, something else has to be stopped.

800 to 1000 W. No.

You will hang start the motor on occasion, causing low voltage on the system. Anything else plugged in can be damaged by the low voltage unless purely a resistance device.

Plus , are you using pure sine wave or square sine wave generators?

For the model I was looking at here is the info I found.

These generators will put out the standard THD rating of 15% or less under load unless otherwise noted. They will produce a sine wave, not a modified or square wave. This is perfectly acceptable for running common commodities found in your home such as TVs, computers, your appliances, etc. THD is a measure of the deviation of a sine wave from a "perfect" sine wave. All electricity, including line electricity, has measurable THD. If you have a specific item that requires less than 5% THD such as a UPS style battery back up, a pellet stove or high efficiency furnace control board, we recommend the use of a line conditioner for these items.

For clarity: The genny in question would be used just to keep the freezer running. I know the 800w continous is fine for many of the freezer models I've looked at. Most of them have a 3 to 5 amp current draw in specs. Just need to figure out if it can handle the initial surge.

I have a larger generator for other purposes (well pump). This is mostly about keeping noise and fuel use down, along with minimizing lugging things around the property.

Back
Top Bottom