• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freezer Dryer Experiments and Recipes

My wife wants me to try and make a healthy fruit/berry/vegetable powder. Thought being you could add a scoop to water and be instant smoothie. Gonna try that first. I also built out a recipe for 10 servings of homemade chicken Alfredo which I'll do second!
The meals are what interest me. A Lasagna or Chicken Alfredo comparison from a store bought brand would be great.
That and your experiments will be a deciding factor in me purchasing one.
Thanks!!

The meals are what interest me. A Lasagna or Chicken Alfredo comparison from a store bought brand would be great.
That and your experiments will be a deciding factor in me purchasing one.
Thanks!!
Compared to store bought freeze dried or compared to something like a Bertolli frozen meal?

Doing some functional testing. Gotta run the freezer then vacuum to ensure all is working. I was worried it might be loud. Freezer by itself is quieter than our dehumidifier. Testing vacuum after its frozen
20220223_141925.jpg

Whipped up a quick batch of penne with bison meat sauce. Pre froze sauce in individual portions, 10 total. This way I can easily add one to each mylar bag for portion control.

24 oz of pasta (before cooking)
64 oz of sauce
36 oz bison meat (before cooking, so it's technically a little less than this)

Total cost for all ingredients was $16. Forgot to plug Electricity meter in, but I anticipate electric costs to be around $7. Mylar bags + oxygen absorbers are $0.50 per bag.

All in total costs per serving (10 total) should be $2.80. Will update with calorie info and results.

20220226_072522.jpg
20220226_071119.jpg
20220226_064816.jpg

I think one mistake may have been not adding a little butter to the noodles. They started sticking together on the tray. We'll see how it turns out once dry

Back
Top Bottom