• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freezer Dryer Experiments and Recipes

Big fail on the Tomato sauce. I went against the recommendation to not try and dry something wider than the trays height. You can see when I pre-froze the tomato sauce in silicone molds they stuck up above the sides. This left the top and bottom of each one dry but the middle still wet/frozen. The bison and noodles turned out perfectly so I sealed them in mason jars to wait to be able to do another separate batch of sauce. Will follow up with pics.

Here's some interesting info. 2 lbs of cooked chicken ($4 worth) results in 7.75 ounces of freeze dried chicken. A total cost of $0.51 per ounce of freeze dried chicken. Mountain House sells 17 oz cans of dried chicken for $63. If you do the math that is $3.70 PER OUNCE. If you home freeze dried the mountain house equivalent (17 oz) of chicken, the cost would be $8.71. Tack on $5 for electricity costs and home freeze drying saves you $49 if you want freeze dried chicken.
20220301_113929.jpg
Screenshot_20220301-113801_Brave.jpg

Very interested, keep testing good sir!!
Thanks! I've got a bunch of stuff stored up waiting to combine into a package-able meal. I'm finding it may be best to do batches of the same thing i.e. 4 trays of chicken, then do 4 batches of sauce, then 4 batches of noodles, temporarily vacuum store in mason jars, then combine into mylar. This makes it easy to do very accurate portions

Back
Top Bottom