• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freezer Dryer Experiments and Recipes

Running a batch of assorted mushrooms, green onions, and assorted peppers. Gonna vacuum seal in 8 oz mason jars. Store in pantry and then rehydrate to add to a chicken fried rice. I like this approach because we always have chicken, rice, and eggs in the fridge. Will be easy to whip up a chicken fried rice
20220301_165129.jpg

Thanks! I've got a bunch of stuff stored up waiting to combine into a package-able meal. I'm finding it may be best to do batches of the same thing i.e. 4 trays of chicken, then do 4 batches of sauce, then 4 batches of noodles, temporarily vacuum store in mason jars, then combine into mylar. This makes it easy to do very accurate portions

Let me know if you put together a fruit/veggie smoothie mix. I would be happy to trade you something of value for one or two in order to have my wife try it, etc.

Let me know if you put together a fruit/veggie smoothie mix. I would be happy to trade you something of value for one or two in order to have my wife try it, etc.
I posted earlier about something just like that. Tastes pretty good. I think the key would be to get a really nice blender, like the vitamix 5200, and then puree the dried fruit in that. With my ninja it still leaves some seeds in the powder (although they're tiny) but I'm a perfectionist lol

I posted earlier about something just like that. Tastes pretty good. I think the key would be to get a really nice blender, like the vitamix 5200, and then puree the dried fruit in that. With my ninja it still leaves some seeds in the powder (although they're tiny) but I'm a perfectionist lol
This would be a sure way to get my wife onboard the Freeze Dryer train. She loves her smoothies. :)

Whipped up a quick batch of penne with bison meat sauce. Pre froze sauce in individual portions, 10 total. This way I can easily add one to each mylar bag for portion control.

24 oz of pasta (before cooking)
64 oz of sauce
36 oz bison meat (before cooking, so it's technically a little less than this)

Total cost for all ingredients was $16. Forgot to plug Electricity meter in, but I anticipate electric costs to be around $7. Mylar bags + oxygen absorbers are $0.50 per bag.

All in total costs per serving (10 total) should be $2.80. Will update with calorie info and results.

View attachment 4029942View attachment 4029945View attachment 4029946

That’s awesome!!!

This would be a sure way to get my wife onboard the Freeze Dryer train. She loves her smoothies. :)
Lol same on this end. It's even better because when you have one cause you can pick up tons of fruit when its on sale. The farmers market had blueberries for $1 a pound last week. That was my Blueberry powder. Same with the mushrooms I'm doing now, half off, bought 10 packages. None of it'll go to waste either!

Now that you have freeze dried a few different items, have you had to change the oil in your pump yet?
I've run 5 (maybe 6) batches and no need to change pump oil yet. I have the premier pump which says you'll have to change every 20-30 cycles. I did notice some sort of smoke/vapor coming from the pump demister, but apparently this is common. It didn't smoke up the room or anything, just whisps coming from it

Back
Top Bottom