• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frustrated with Load Development

I find that summer is the worst time to get a good load worked up due to the temp swings, change in shade/sun ect...

The more precise the components the more precise the load needs to be. Keep the weather in mind as much as your load, could be as simple as weather conditions changing your groups.

Sounds like you're OCD enough to get it done, chasing down THE problem is the fun of hand loading.
Best of luck to you.

Yeah, but sorting your brass for weight, neck-turning, flash hole deburring, primer pocket truing, and probably ten other things won't turn a 1.25 MOA gun into a .25 MOA gun. They may turn a .5 into a .25 though!

Charge weight and seating depth make big differences though.

Yeah, but sorting your brass for weight, neck-turning, flash hole deburring, primer pocket truing, and probably ten other things won't turn a 1.25 MOA gun into a .25 MOA gun. They may turn a .5 into a .25 though!

Charge weight and seating depth make big differences though.
Some small things can have an extraordinary effect on accuracy. I've seen nothing other than seating depth changes turn a 2.0 MOA load into a 0.5 MOA load.

what is you cartridge OAL right now.

if you play with it and see no real difference I'd start looking at your Rifle..

what is you cartridge OAL right now.

if you play with it and see no real difference I'd start looking at your Rifle..

If you're going to play with OAL, I'd recommend having the right tools (to measure the OAL to the ogive of the bullet), and the chamber gauge. Whether or not you have those tools, read this. The info works for bullets other than Berger, though other bullets may be more or less sensitive to seating depth:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

You can get by with just a caliper if you want to try it, but the results will be more consistent if you do it systematically using the right tools.

If you're going to play with OAL, I'd recommend having the right tools (to measure the OAL to the ogive of the bullet), and the chamber gauge. Whether or not you have those tools, read this. The info works for bullets other than Berger, though other bullets may be more or less sensitive to seating depth:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

You can get by with just a caliper if you want to try it, but the results will be more consistent if you do it systematically using the right tools.
Good info. I always load CBTO with all my guns. Going to get some factory ammo, just to see what it does. Might rule out some things.

Back
Top Bottom