• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Gone: FS 1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup (Hilux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

No-Limit

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
28   0
Reaction score
Item Name: FS 1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup (Hilux)

Zip Code: 30907

Item is for: Sale Only
Sale Price: $4500

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: This is the cleanest truck of this 1st generation 4x4 Toyota Pickup that you will find for this price. As most who are interested know, this truck shares it's name/parts with the Japanese Toyota Hilux. I searched for over 2 years before I purchased this truck and now I am having to sell due to a new employment venture that is not allowing me to use it like I had planned. I just don't have the time to enjoy it, and want to pass it along to someone who will take care of it and drive it like it's supposed to be.

The good: It's the most reliable, non-stoppable truck of it's kind. In 4-low it will crawl up a brick wall. It has never left me stranded anywhere, and starts every single time. I've never had any major mechanical issues with it at all. This truck has essentially had a frame-off restoration completed just a couple years ago, and most/all of the work that was done, was done prior to me purchasing. I would say the biggest negative is that I can't say for certain exactly what all was done, as I do not have any paperwork on the work that was done. It was owned by a father/son who went through virtually everything on the truck. The body was removed, one small section of new frame was welded in where there was some rust, the engine & transmission were completely rebuilt and (the motor was bored .20 over for an increase in power, specifically for turning the larger tires). The mileage on the motor is unknown. I would estimate it to be at around 20K miles or so.

The truck has 35x12.5" mud terrain tires, which are essentially brand new. I just had $300 worth of muffler/exhaust work done to it at Midas where they welded in new pipe, etc and made everything air tight, as I was getting exhaust fumes in the cab that drove me crazy. I just had the windows professionally re-tinted as well. I also just installed 2 new front headlights, as one was out but I wanted them both to be the same color/temperature, so I went ahead and replaced both headlight fixtures.

The cons: There is no power steering. It was removed when the truck was overhauled and was not put back in. I have never felt like I needed it, and obviously the owner before me felt it was unnecessary as well. These trucks were built with power steering from the factory, so the only thing one would need to do would be to find the gear from a donor truck and a power steering pump and route the hoses, and you'll have power steering.

The other biggest con is it doesn't have A/C. However all of the windows work including the small triangle hinged windows that direct air into the cab and it's not much of an issue.

The last two things that I haven't quite sorted out yet (they've actually been this way since I bought it, because they just don't bother me that much). One is, the drivers side front axle seal is leaking. Everything else under the truck is bone dry. The axle seal is an $8.00 part, but it's just finding the time to do it that has been my problem. The other issue is sometimes, sporadically, the engine will be running smoothly as you are going down the road, and all the sudden the RPMS will drop and it'll studder a bit. I push the clutch in for a couple seconds, let the rpms come back up...and let the clutch out again and I'm on my way. I have researched the issue and it's likely a distributor issue, more likely a loose wire going to the distributor. Again, I just don't have the time to tinker with it to figure it out. Sometimes it'll do it once during a 20 mile trip out to the hunting club, and sometimes it won't do it at all. It's a very sporadic thing that I haven't nailed down. Again, it hasn't bothered me enough to really tackle it, nor do I have the time at the moment to try to figure it out. It's most certainly a simple fix.

The body on this truck is 100% solid. Now, it is a hunting truck, and there is some body filler here and there, but it's solid. Everything was done right.

The interior is in good shape with the exception of a rip on the driver side seat cover from getting in & out. It has a bench seat, which I specifically wanted as I wanted to be able to drive my wife, myself, and my son in it. Bucket seats from any 84-99 tacoma fit as well, (and they're cheap from the junk yard) if you want bucket seats.

The engine has all new parts, new water pump, timing chain, new Weber carburetor, etc..

The truck has a nice radio/cd player with new 6x9 speakers, etc. Also has a CB radio & antenna that I have never used. The interior dash, doors, etc..are covered in Realtree Max-4 type camo, the exterior is all flat camo that can be touched up with rattle cans if you mess up on the trail.

The transmission was upgraded to a 5 speed when the truck was overhauled, with a new clutch, etc. However, 5th gear is pretty useless (unless you are on the interstate) as those tires are too big & heavy to use 5th gear around town. I just typically drive it as a 4 speed.

It surprisingly has a bit of get-up-and-go and will throw you back in the seat when you hit the gas. The motor has good compression and good torque.

As you probably can tell, I love this truck and I hate to sell it. I looked at so many of these trucks for such a long time, most of which were complete junk, or piece-mealed together, until I found this one and I knew when I saw it for the first time it was the one I had been waiting for. One quick trip around the block sealed the deal.

The heat works great, as does the defrost, etc.

I have a battery tender quick-disconnect hooked up to the battery, (my 5 year old battery-tender just quit on me the other day, so if you want one you'll need to get a new one). But it'll just plug right in to a port without even having to open the hood. They're only about $25 from Walmart and they maintain the battery & ensure it lasts as long as possible, and also ensurers you'll never have a dead battery when you get in it at 4AM for you hunting trip.

Please feel free to email me with any questions and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

I hate to sell this truck, I love it...I get compliments and turn heads everywhere I go. It's a classic and it looks and runs damn good. But I just don't have the time to give it what it needs at the moment, and for that reason I need to let it go for now.

I only use non-ethanol gas, as did the owner before me, and I baby this truck like it was my first-born. It drives straighter and smoother than my 2007 Tacoma that is my daily driver. You will fall in love with this truck, so make sure your wife is OK with it being in your driveway before you come take a look.

I am in Augusta, GA but would be willing to work with you on meeting half way if you're from the Atlanta area or somewhere else in Georgia or the southeast.

Pictures:
20171004_134328-01_resized-jpeg.1497058

20171004_170813-01_resized-jpeg.1497059

20171004_135410_resized-jpg.1497060

20171004_135520_resized-jpg.1497062

20171004_135001_resized-jpg.1497063

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
I've had several of these trucks and they are just dang near indestructible dang good trucks and I hope this one is no different. We'll see if this one is the one.

Brother I just need a good hunting,fishing, and garbage truck. Something super dependable and cool. This fits the bill and I don't mind chasing down a distributor issue. I would like any documentation you might have on this truck.i will be adding AC to this truck eventually, it's just to cool not to if I buy it. If you know something that I need to know about please call me. I already love the truck just want to make an album informed decision.

Item Name: FS 1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup (Hilux)

Zip Code: 30907

Item is for: Sale Only
Sale Price: $4500

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: This is the cleanest truck of this 1st generation 4x4 Toyota Pickup that you will find for this price. As most who are interested know, this truck shares it's name/parts with the Japanese Toyota Hilux. I searched for over 2 years before I purchased this truck and now I am having to sell due to a new employment venture that is not allowing me to use it like I had planned. I just don't have the time to enjoy it, and want to pass it along to someone who will take care of it and drive it like it's supposed to be.

The good: It's the most reliable, non-stoppable truck of it's kind. In 4-low it will crawl up a brick wall. It has never left me stranded anywhere, and starts every single time. I've never had any major mechanical issues with it at all. This truck has essentially had a frame-off restoration completed just a couple years ago, and most/all of the work that was done, was done prior to me purchasing. I would say the biggest negative is that I can't say for certain exactly what all was done, as I do not have any paperwork on the work that was done. It was owned by a father/son who went through virtually everything on the truck. The body was removed, one small section of new frame was welded in where there was some rust, the engine & transmission were completely rebuilt and (the motor was bored .20 over for an increase in power, specifically for turning the larger tires). The mileage on the motor is unknown. I would estimate it to be at around 20K miles or so.

The truck has 35x12.5" mud terrain tires, which are essentially brand new. I just had $300 worth of muffler/exhaust work done to it at Midas where they welded in new pipe, etc and made everything air tight, as I was getting exhaust fumes in the cab that drove me crazy. I just had the windows professionally re-tinted as well. I also just installed 2 new front headlights, as one was out but I wanted them both to be the same color/temperature, so I went ahead and replaced both headlight fixtures.

The cons: There is no power steering. It was removed when the truck was overhauled and was not put back in. I have never felt like I needed it, and obviously the owner before me felt it was unnecessary as well. These trucks were built with power steering from the factory, so the only thing one would need to do would be to find the gear from a donor truck and a power steering pump and route the hoses, and you'll have power steering.

The other biggest con is it doesn't have A/C. However all of the windows work including the small triangle hinged windows that direct air into the cab and it's not much of an issue.

The last two things that I haven't quite sorted out yet (they've actually been this way since I bought it, because they just don't bother me that much). One is, the drivers side front axle seal is leaking. Everything else under the truck is bone dry. The axle seal is an $8.00 part, but it's just finding the time to do it that has been my problem. The other issue is sometimes, sporadically, the engine will be running smoothly as you are going down the road, and all the sudden the RPMS will drop and it'll studder a bit. I push the clutch in for a couple seconds, let the rpms come back up...and let the clutch out again and I'm on my way. I have researched the issue and it's likely a distributor issue, more likely a loose wire going to the distributor. Again, I just don't have the time to tinker with it to figure it out. Sometimes it'll do it once during a 20 mile trip out to the hunting club, and sometimes it won't do it at all. It's a very sporadic thing that I haven't nailed down. Again, it hasn't bothered me enough to really tackle it, nor do I have the time at the moment to try to figure it out. It's most certainly a simple fix.

The body on this truck is 100% solid. Now, it is a hunting truck, and there is some body filler here and there, but it's solid. Everything was done right.

The interior is in good shape with the exception of a rip on the driver side seat cover from getting in & out. It has a bench seat, which I specifically wanted as I wanted to be able to drive my wife, myself, and my son in it. Bucket seats from any 84-99 tacoma fit as well, (and they're cheap from the junk yard) if you want bucket seats.

The engine has all new parts, new water pump, timing chain, new Weber carburetor, etc..

The truck has a nice radio/cd player with new 6x9 speakers, etc. Also has a CB radio & antenna that I have never used. The interior dash, doors, etc..are covered in Realtree Max-4 type camo, the exterior is all flat camo that can be touched up with rattle cans if you mess up on the trail.

The transmission was upgraded to a 5 speed when the truck was overhauled, with a new clutch, etc. However, 5th gear is pretty useless (unless you are on the interstate) as those tires are too big & heavy to use 5th gear around town. I just typically drive it as a 4 speed.

It surprisingly has a bit of get-up-and-go and will throw you back in the seat when you hit the gas. The motor has good compression and good torque.

As you probably can tell, I love this truck and I hate to sell it. I looked at so many of these trucks for such a long time, most of which were complete junk, or piece-mealed together, until I found this one and I knew when I saw it for the first time it was the one I had been waiting for. One quick trip around the block sealed the deal.

The heat works great, as does the defrost, etc.

I have a battery tender quick-disconnect hooked up to the battery, (my 5 year old battery-tender just quit on me the other day, so if you want one you'll need to get a new one). But it'll just plug right in to a port without even having to open the hood. They're only about $25 from Walmart and they maintain the battery & ensure it lasts as long as possible, and also ensurers you'll never have a dead battery when you get in it at 4AM for you hunting trip.

Please feel free to email me with any questions and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

I hate to sell this truck, I love it...I get compliments and turn heads everywhere I go. It's a classic and it looks and runs damn good. But I just don't have the time to give it what it needs at the moment, and for that reason I need to let it go for now.

I only use non-ethanol gas, as did the owner before me, and I baby this truck like it was my first-born. It drives straighter and smoother than my 2007 Tacoma that is my daily driver. You will fall in love with this truck, so make sure your wife is OK with it being in your driveway before you come take a look.

I am in Augusta, GA but would be willing to work with you on meeting half way if you're from the Atlanta area or somewhere else in Georgia or the southeast.

Pictures:
20171004_134328-01_resized-jpeg.1497058

20171004_170813-01_resized-jpeg.1497059

20171004_135410_resized-jpg.1497060

20171004_135520_resized-jpg.1497062

20171004_135001_resized-jpg.1497063
PM sent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom