• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Relisted! FS/FT 1987 BMW 635CSI L6

flyfisherman

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
Reaction score
Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ft-1987-bmw-635csi-l6.1360069/
Item Name: FS/FT 1987 BMW 635CSI L6

Zip Code: 30328

Item is for: Sale or Trade
Sale Price: $4750
Trade Value or Items Looking For: I will accept quality firearms in trade.

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: 1987 BMW 635CSI L6. 248K miles. 3.5L 6 cyl. Auto transmission with 3-2-1 and Sport modes. The body on this car is beautiful. The only cosmetic flaws are a cracked front lower valence, a dent in the fuel filler door, and a crack in the rear bumper valence. The previous owner (since 1993) stated the car has never been in an accident and I believe him.

I purchased it in 2014 and the following work has been performed:
Major tune up & oil and filter change
R&R axle shafts and boots
R&R front control arms and link bushings
Replace fan clutch
Replace swaybar links
New front brake rotors, pads and sensors
New front shocks, upper mounts and bump stops
New alternator and belts
New AC compressor, dryer, O rings and hoses (R134A)
New radiator, hoses, thermostat and temperature switch
New oil pan gasket
New engine mounts
New main and fuel pump relays
Programa reconditioned Motronic ECU
Programa reconditioning conductor plate/SI Board
New headlights

Work performed by Buckhead Motor Works and Franz Blam, two excellent German car shops. Previous owner had all work performed by Buckhead Imports, another excellent shop.

What is left to do:
The instrument panel gauges work intermittently. The conductor plate/SI board were reconditioned and bench tested, I believe there is a faulty ground that is causing the issue.
Occasionally the car shuts off at a stop light. It always restarts and it has never shut off while moving, only after stopping for a stop light. I believe there is an issue with the idle valve. The tires have plenty of tread but they vibrate at 45 mph. Above and below 45 the ride is smooth. I would replace them.

As far as the interior goes, the factory seats are very nice. The previous owner paid $900 for them out of a low mileage car in 2011. The dash is leather and needs to be recovered, the stitching on the top of the dash is split.

I receive compliments on this car from people of all ages.
When I recently went to a high end steakhouse for a special occasion the valet parked this car out front while the new Porsches, Maseratis, etc were parked in the back.

Why am I selling? I never seem to have the time or occasion to drive it. I have only put 1000 miles a year on it since I have owned it. The ad valorem tax when I bought it in 2014 was only $225 in Fulton County and it is insured on a collector policy (less than 5000 miles per year) at an agreed value of $10,000 (based on NADA) for a premium of only $250 per year.

I have all books, service records since new, a copy of the original invoice from Maloof BMW ($42,449.50 in 1987), a complete tool kit, a spare matching BBS Style 42 wheel and the 4 original wheels that came on the car.

There are currently 3 635s on Atlanta Craigslist with asking prices of $7500. Southeast Sharkfest (SESF) a regional event dedicated to these cars is coming up on April 29 and it would be a great opportunity to display and sell this car, my limiting factor is time. With the repairs listed above I have $12K in this car. It needs another $2k to complete taking into consideration new tires, new idle valve and reupholstering or replacing the dash. I am not looking to give it away, I believe my price is reasonable but I am open to offers. Not looking for other vehicles except possibly a two door Tahoe.

Pictures:
img_0520-jpg.1041181

img_0523-jpg.1041182

Back
Top Bottom