• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Gone: FS/FT Winchester Model 1897, Take Down, 12 GA, (Saved and Cera-Blued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodBlessTheUSA

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
I brought down the Iron Curtain
154   0
Reaction score
Item Name: FS/FT Winchester Model 1897, Take Down, 12 GA, (Saved and Cera-Blued)

Location: Commerce to Clayton, Cornelia to Clarkesville, Gainesville to Athens, Will Drive to BassPro

Zip Code: 30577

Item is for: Sale or Trade
Sale Price: $550
Trade Value or Items Looking For: 1911s, CZs, ARs, AKs, M1 Carbines (I'll add cash as needed). Offer away in PM. (But I Don't need any other rifles or shotguns, thanks)

Caliber: 12 Ga

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: Up for sale or trade is my saved and restored Model 1897 Winchester Take Down Shotgun.

Made in 1922 (by serial number), it had a very hard life until I picked it up some time ago. The receiver and barrel / magazine assemblies had been tack welded together, several screws and small parts were missing or broken, and the stock was badly cracked.

I disassembled, ultra-soniced, cleaned, repaired and or replaced things. I ever so gently separated the receiver and barrel, replaced the locking sleeve (collar) and had all the formerly blued parts done in Cera-Blue.

I bought a replacement stock on line, and attempted a repair on the original. Both stocks are included. The replacement rear stock's butt end is a different size than the original, so the Winchester butt plate won't fit exactly.

I also made a fore-end stock out of bamboo. Yep, hand cut, heat treated and hand fitted black bamboo. One of a kind! (I wasn't paying the crazy price for a replacement fore-stock)

Please see the photos for before and after pictures.

The Good: It shoots wonderfully! Slam fires great! Functions with all the ammo I tried.

The Not so good: After doing all that work it appears that the top of the trigger is a little short. As in the top 1/8" or so is missing. This doesn't effect firing or cocking at all.

The original stock was very, very, badly cracked. I tried the gorilla glue and dowel repair, but it cracked again. The current repair is more cosmetic, and it stinks.

The Cera-Blue is a coating. During re-assembly, and adjusting the takedown collar tension, the Cera-blue coating on the barrel around the barrel band was scratched. Also, the barrel band isn't as tight as I'd prefer, as it may wobble when separating the receiver from the barrel (i.e. when you do a "takedown" the barrel band may move as you slide the magazine tube forward). This adds to the scratches in the Cera-Blue. All those scratches are on the bottom of the barrel only.

There is no bead. I added a slip on fiber optic sight.

It's a neat piece of history and not a bad, if imperfect, restoration.

$550 cash OBRO, I can trade up or down, just offer in a PM. I don't need any other shotguns or rifles, except ARs or AKs. I like CZs, 1911s, mil-surp in 9mm, or .32, Or a 9mm double stack Glock, or a USGI M1 Carbine. Give or take cash depending on the trade.

I work on-call and my schedule is variable, ergo, there will be some days that I am unavailable after 2:00pm, and some weekends I have to remain within 25 minutes of Toccoa, Ga. When POSSIBLE I'm willing to drive to BassPro, Gainesville, Athens, Clayton etc. If I can meet you somewhere, I will, just be willing to be flexible on the meet date and time.

No bill of sale, but I'd like to know that it's legal for you to own a gun in Georgia.

The top photo in the top collage is two photos blended together to show most of the shotgun's condition when I got it.

View attachment 2839387

View attachment 2839389

View attachment 2839392

Pictures:
upload_2020-9-25_18-23-25-png.2839387

upload_2020-9-25_18-23-44-png.2839389

upload_2020-9-25_18-23-59-png.2839392

img_8571-jpg.2839405

img_1792-jpg.2839411

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom