• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fun things to do with your reloading bench, part II

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
My favorite project for the reloading hobby was building a dedicated reloading bench. Actually, it's not fair to say it's a dedicated reloading bench, because I built it in such a way that it easily converts into an empty bench for cleaning and minor gunsmithing tasks. I used the NRA's basic reloading bench plan, with some modifications. The best modification was adding dovetail inserts to the benchtop, which allow me to switch out different pieces of reloading equipment without any bolting or clamping.

Bench with blank insert for a flat work surface:
www.zjstech.net_gunstuff_images_bench1.jpg

The insert comes out:
www.zjstech.net_gunstuff_images_bench2.jpg

A press is inserted in the position:
www.zjstech.net_gunstuff_images_bench3.jpg

Storage cutouts above the bench for the equipment:
www.zjstech.net_gunstuff_images_bench4.jpg

The benchtop is melamine covered particle board, which is easy to keep clean, and adds a lot of reflective light to the work area. The inserts for any presses that involve significant leverage have to be made of hardwood, because a melamine insert will break if subjected to the kind of torque a reloading or sizing press handle stroke puts on the assembly. The MEC shotshell press works fine bolted to a melamine insert.

The press I use most frequently is a Lee Classic Turret, and that is bolted to one corner of the bench (see my previous "Fun things" post), to give it maximum rigidity.

A system like this doesn't have to involve building an entire bench. It can be made as an addition to an existing bench, or a dedicated fixture. There are also commercial fixtures (Lee bench plate, Pat Marlin's Rock Dock) available.

If you use more than one bench mounted reloading (or gunsmithing) tool and have limited bench space, these types of systems are simple to make, and a big convenience.

I have been wanting to try this. I think it would be great to remove the press to be able to work on other items. With it done like this it would not be much work to remove the press and have a flat work table. PLUS I would have more area to draw on!!

great idea I was having the issue of where to mount my rifle/pistol press and my shotshell press without bein too cluttered. I think you just found me a solution

GREAT INGENUITY

Back
Top Bottom