• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FYI Speer Lawman 9mm 147 in stock

The Blazer 147 shoots good, no issues. I was a little worried when I saw the flat top bullets, I know some guns are picky about feeding these. My p09 ate em no issues though

Can anyone tell me the actual specifics on the CCI Blazer 147 grain 9 mm?
Does it stay subsonic?

Midway lists theirs:
Muzzle Velocity 950 fps.
Muzzle Energy 295 foot pounds.
Midway cci blazer 147 9mm.JPG

Target Sports USA lists theirs:
Muzzle Velocity 1000 fps.
Muzzle Energy 326 foot pounds.
TargetSportsUSA  cci blazer 147 9mm.JPG

Speed of sound at sea level is 1125 fps. That value varies a little with temperature, altitude and humidity, but basically with a muzzle velocity at 950-1000fps... yes, you're subsonic. Once the bullet leaves the barrel it is only being acted on by drag and gravity, so velocity only goes down from there.

It stays subsonic in my p09, which is a 5.1 inch barrel. I read the same thing HydroAuto just said, in a PCC with a longer barrel it will go supersonic. I've read the lawman will do the same. I read somewhere the fiocchi 158 grain wont go super in a PCC.

True... barrel length definitely plays into the equation. The values published by ammo manufacturers are based on a 'standard' test barrel, whatever that may be. I would think 4-5" pretty popular for pistols.

Check out the tables here for some reference data on the effects of barrel length on muzzle velocity.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Specifically, the blazzer brass 147's were going supersonic in a ruger PC9 with a 16" barrel. I was reserching them and stumbled on a video or a guy testing them. As far as pistols go, most have a 5" or shorter barrel and should have no issue going super if the loads are in spec.

Back
Top Bottom