• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA Carry permits

Ok WTH. eveyone jumped up and down about having to pay for a carry Permit and we got the GA carry law passed. Now everyone on this group wants you to have a carry permit before they will sell or trade with you. Make up your damn minds. I am sick of coming on here trying to make a trade with people and they say Oh without a permit I can't trade with you.
Don’t worry if 6 more years of Brandon = no more pledge of allegiance anywhere, AR15’s, braces, private sales, or mags with more than 8 rds.

I had one for years. but after they passed the new law where we don't need them anymore I just let mine go. But I guess I am going back and get it again.

Well, as someone said, you don't need a CWL in order to carry legally or purchase a gun in Georgia, but having one might make your life easier in ways that you value - avoiding background checks etc. But without one, reciprocity with other states could be a problem, and there are a few federal laws you could accidentally break, but maybe none of those apply to you, so it's a moot point.

If I was selling you a gun, all I'd really want to do is ensure you're a GA resident - probably by asking to see some state ID. Everything else you can lie about. Are you a prohibited person? I might ask you, and when you say "no", that's good enough for me. Would I want a completed bill of sale? probably not.

I've protected myself sufficiently should I ever have any questions asked about whether I still own the gun. "The dude showed me his driver's license. I checked to make sure it was current"

Edit: Note - the only reason that I'd want to have a CWL is to comply with and ease the burden of FEDERAL regulations. As a GA resident, I can just carry a gun (and sell it) pretty much freely. All the apparent "hypocrisy" is because that plastic card satisfies some FEDERAL asshole's wet dream demanding our compliance.

OP is 100% correct. Before the state reps passed and the governor signed “constitutional carry” into law, the ODT had many threads/comments decrying the the state’s and county’s disregard for the 2nd amendment.

Now all we see is the hypocrisy of what a great idea it is to pay for the GWP because of the great convenience and comfort of years of having it.

And no background checks at a LGS...
We just renewed our Cobb Co permits...took 10 minutes, cost $32 for 5 yrs, and arrived in 10 days.
I actually have three permits...GA, Utah non-res, and one from NY.
My buddy does that too, I think some state up north and out west non resident, pretty much covers him for almost all the states

Ok WTH. eveyone jumped up and down about having to pay for a carry Permit and we got the GA carry law passed. Now everyone on this group wants you to have a carry permit before they will sell or trade with you. Make up your damn minds. I am sick of coming on here trying to make a trade with people and they say Oh without a permit I can't trade with you.
I've had a WCL for a couple of decades now and it DID save me money and hassle with the NCIS checks when buying a gun in a store. The DIFFERENCE between having the WCL and the new 'open carry' law is just that - you can carry openly but not concealed (my understanding of the law). On the subject of requiring to see a WCL in a sale here, I've asked for them saying I prefer to see them over just a DL because the person having one tells me he's at least been through some sort of background scrutiny and is just not some banger from Atlanta. I call it due diligence; others may call it useless and condemn you for it, but there it is and I'll still always indicate I prefer to peek at a WCL over a DL every time.

Back
Top Bottom