• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA Carry permits

Ok WTH. eveyone jumped up and down about having to pay for a carry Permit and we got the GA carry law passed. Now everyone on this group wants you to have a carry permit before they will sell or trade with you. Make up your damn minds. I am sick of coming on here trying to make a trade with people and they say Oh without a permit I can't trade with you.
I am sorry your feelings are hurt. In this day and age ANY assurance that a firearm is going to someone who, at least, took the time to validate his legal status gives sellers some assurance. No doubt, that if it has not happened already, someone somewhere will sue an original, legal buyer of a firearm because he/she sold it to someone of questionable character. That is civil and juries these days, more and more, are of the snowflake variety who love to award money.

Give the OP a break, perhaps he cannot attain a GWL due to his legal status and the only way for him to buy is "off the record". And for that reason I require a GWL for a sale, it gives me some self assurance I sold it to someone in good standing with the law (at least when he got his GWL). OP is now on my ignore list.

I feel if you have a Carry Permit that you need to keep renewing it. It makes it easier if you buy a gun at a FFL dealer. I have had mine for Lord knows how long. The first on I got you had to post a bond and present the weapon you were going to carry to the Ordinary so he could put the serial number on the license. It is also a good source for an ID. Just my thoughts.

The “new“ Constitutional Carry law is basically 21 pages of legalese that replaces the phrase “a person who is licensed” with the phrase “lawful weapons carrier.” A “lawful weapons carrier” is defined as anyone “licensed or eligible for a license”, referring to a Georgia Weapons Carry License under the old and still current law, GA 16-11-129.

Constitutional Carry in Georgia has all the same stipulations and abilities for carrying a firearm as possession of a Georgia Weapons Carry License does. Concealed carry of firearms is allowed under Constitutional Carry in Georgia.

A person-to-person transfer or sale of a non NFA firearm in Georgia requires no government required 'form'. However, the burden lies upon the seller to not knowingly do so to a non-Georgia resident or someone not eligible to own or possess such a firearm. One of the easiest ways to attempt to confirm this is to ask if person has a carry license. I will always ask to see a GA DL or a carry permit when doing transactions. If you do not have at least one of these there would be no deal made between us. That being said I travel a lot and prefer to retain the concealed carry reciprocity allowed between the participating states.

A person-to-person transfer or sale of a non NFA firearm in Georgia requires no government required 'form'. However, the burden lies upon the seller to not knowingly do so to a non-Georgia resident or someone not eligible to own or possess such a firearm. One of the easiest ways to attempt to confirm this is to ask if person has a carry license. I will always ask to see a GA DL or a carry permit when doing transactions. If you do not have at least one of these there would be no deal made between us. That being said I travel a lot and prefer to retain the concealed carry reciprocity allowed between the participating states.
Very good explanation as why to continue having a carry license.

Back
Top Bottom