• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga gun law question

republican

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
Maybe I am looking at old info but I never noticed this before.
According to state law a "long gun" has a barrel length of at least 18 inches a "handgun" has to be no more than 12 inches and a "sawed off rifle" has a barrel of less than 16 inches.
Where does this put the 16 inch barreled carbines that all of us may or may not own 4 or 5 of ?

It's a drafting error in the current law by someone who didn't know what they were talking about (which is about all the legislature).

There is no answer. At the end of the day, it doesn't make any difference.

So all those carbine with 16.1 or 16 1/4" barrels are...

... are... are...

Unregulated?

Neither "weapons" nor long guns under most of Georgi's gun laws?

Yep.

But, they are weapons for the purposes of the school gun-free zone law.
They are still firearms when it comes to "committing a felony while armed" or "convicted felon or 1st offender felony probationer in possession of a firearm."

How about on a WMA where it says you can have a weapon with a Weapons License but a "Long gun " has to be unloaded and inaccessible outside of hunting season ?

A rifle is 16 or more inches and rifled. Shotguns are 18" or more to be legal. A handgun has no stock. Not sure the length makes any difference. I shotgun and a rifle are both long guns, but have different barrel requirements. Guess state law isn't real clear.

Rosewood, your statement that "a handgun has no stock" is true based on federal law, and common sense, but we're taking about GEORGIA O.C.G.A. law here. Federal law and common sense have no application or relevance!

Instead, THIS is the Georgia statutory law of a handgun:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-125.1
Definitions
(1) "Handgun" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term "handgun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

Bold emphasis added.

So, notice that there's no mention of shoulder placement or butt stocks.

Hmm, reckon what Georgia Law defines my TC contender with a 14" barrel and pistol grip as. I wonder if you could carry a 14" contender on person without a Georgia weapons permit.

Hmm, reckon what Georgia Law defines my TC contender with a 14" barrel and pistol grip as. I wonder if you could carry a 14" contender on person without a Georgia weapons permit.

You could probably ask most any LEO, I'm sure they could explain it to you.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom