• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

[GA] Is it illegal to get someone to buy you ammo?

Tell your friend this........If he is caught buying ammo under this Company discount program for non employees. I'm pretty sure he will be fired.

Only if it explicitly states that in the company rules etc.

OP:
Most likely the buddy is just tired of you bugging him to buy you bullets.

Only if it explicitly states that in the company rules etc.

OP:
Most likely the buddy is just tired of you bugging him to buy you bullets.

I can almost guarantee you it does. Using your discount at any retailer for a non family member is almost always outlined in the company SOP. Home Depot did away with employee discounts in the late 90's early 00's because the employees were purchasing bulk items and selling out of their garage. A coworker of mine now worked at Dicks and one of his coworkers was buying tennis shoes from Dicks on his employee discount and selling them just below retail out of the trunk of his car. Sharing an employee discount is a very serious ethics violation.

I do maintenance for a major auto parts distributor. We get a 30% discount on car parts. The policy is that you can only use the discount for yourself your spouse and those you claim as dependents on your taxes... and yes they do audit it from time to time and I know people who have gotten caught. "So in the past year you, your wife and 2 year old have bought parts for 15 different cars?" Everything is on computer now and way to easy to track. I would assume that Dicks has a similar policy.

vvv This is a quick summary of Federal restrictions on buying ammo vvv from http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-r-0217.htm

FEDERAL AMMUNITION LAW

Miscellaneous Restrictions

Federal law prohibits ammunition sale or transfer to, and possession by, anyone who:

1. is under indictment for a crime punishable by more than one year imprisonment or convicted of a felony,

2. is a fugitive from justice,

3. is an unlawful user of a controlled substance,

4. is addicted to a controlled substance,

5. has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution,

6. is an illegal alien,

7. has been dishonorably discharged from the military, and

8. has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship (18 USC § 922(d) and (g)).

Here is the US Code dealing with all of this. The high points are that you cant provide ammo to anyone that you would reasonable know to be prohibited from buying it themselves https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

its not illegal, Dicks loss preventions makes internal cases for discount abuse and have probably hammered it into them that its wrong. I used to know one of their regional guys and they take that stuff seriously. Not illegal by any means, i buy ammo for lots of people just because i happen to go to more stores than them and can find it.

Unless you regularly engage in the business of selling ammunition to make money, private sales of ammo from one adult to another are OK.

From 1968 to 1986, the federal Gun Control Act made ammunition a registered item that you had to show ID for, and the FFL dealer selling you some had to record the information in a federal record book. Back then, having somebody buy ammo for you may have been a crime, some kind of crime related to making a false statement about the true identity of the buyer. Like a "straw purchase."
But since 1986 and the Firearms Owners Protection Act, you don't need to make any statements when buying ammo, or any representations as to the buyer's identity, so that's a non-issue these days.

I'm 22 and I have some friends that work at Dick's. Normally I wouldn't buy from there, but they get 25% off ammo. My friend is trying to tell me that it's a federal crime to get someone to buy you ammo. I'm telling him he's incorrect, it's illegal to buy a firearm for someone and to buy a juvenile ammo is illegal, but since I'm 22 it's fine for him to buy ammo for me. Can anyone give me their input on this that has more law knowledge? I'm itching to shoot my new SX3! Thanks!

I also have a few friends that work at Dicks, but one told me that the Dicks management frowns upon its employees using there discounts on ammo. Hell, its cheaper on ODT and Soprts Academy.

Ammo sales are not controlled except for age of buyer. Yet... This is probably a Dick's policy to prevent non-employees from getting the employee discount.

Back
Top Bottom