• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA rifle ranges that permit different shooting positions?

guitarded_1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
18   0
Reaction score
Well it seems hard enough to find a good rifle range within a couple of hours of Atlanta, and I would settle for 100 yards in a pinch, but I have a question. In looking at pictures of various rifle ranges, WMA ranges in particular, it looks bench shooting may be the only option. Am I wrong about that? Specifically, I'm looking for a range that allows me to shoot prone, sitting, sticks, offhand, etc. I want to train like I would shoot (hunting deer/elk). Any experience or thoughts on a range that might be a good fit?

Well it seems hard enough to find a good rifle range within a couple of hours of Atlanta, and I would settle for 100 yards in a pinch, but I have a question. In looking at pictures of various rifle ranges, WMA ranges in particular, it looks bench shooting may be the only option. Am I wrong about that? Specifically, I'm looking for a range that allows me to shoot prone, sitting, sticks, offhand, etc. I want to train like I would shoot (hunting deer/elk). Any experience or thoughts on a range that might be a good fit?

Big Lazar WMA will accommodate various shooting positions... There are benches there to shoot off of however, I have shot Prone supported/ unsupported, kneeling supported/ unsupported as well as offhand in the past.

It has been roughly a year since I have been there and completed my own range on my property.

However, you are able to shoot in various positions. All you need is a 20.00 a year GORP pass from DNR.

You can always decide to go to strong point and do what you want however, your going to pay for it....

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobs in palmetto has bench shooting and you can go prone or stand/kneel. But it’s an annual membership.

Appreciate it. I was originally thinking I might be interested in an annual membership range - that was before I got my first hunting rifle a few months ago. 30-06 in a lightweight rifle translates into quite a beating on the shoulder, especially prone. I can't imagine shooting my rifle enough to justify a membership, so I'm fine with a daily/hourly fee.

Any idea if Clybel WMA allows the same? Still haven't been there, but it sure is convenient...

I plan to call eventually and ask, but looking at the pictures of Clybel, I’m willing to bet that the range officers won’t allow prone or butt on the ground shooting. Maybe standing/offhand, but I’m not sure. I think they have wooden barriers as a firing line, so that says a lot. I still plan to shoot there at some point.

Back
Top Bottom