• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga Supreme Court on GWL denials

How did he do that? If you know.
It's in a footnote to the opinion,

Real inside baseball.

When he appealed to the Court of Appeals, he didn't list the attorney fee issue as one of the issues he was appealing. So when he appealed to the Supreme Court, they treated the issue as abandoned because the was no ruling on it in the Court of Appeals.

Oh wow...

It's in a footnote to the opinion,

Real inside baseball.

When he appealed to the Court of Appeals, he didn't list the attorney fee issue as one of the issues he was appealing. So when he appealed to the Supreme Court, they treated the issue as abandoned because the was no ruling on it in the Court of Appeals.

Oh wow...
It's one of those things that right for all the wrong reasons.

If he had appealed the attorney fee issue to the Court of Appeals, they would have dealt with it in one sentence "because we affirm the decision of the court below, the appeal from the denial of attorney fees is moot." If they had addressed it at all. It's not unusual for the appellate courts to not even address all the issues on appeal, but then that is partly the fault of the attorneys for listing 42 grounds for appeal.

Glad to learn that.

It's one of those things that right for all the wrong reasons.

If he had appealed the attorney fee issue to the Court of Appeals, they would have dealt with it in one sentence "because we affirm the decision of the court below, the appeal from the denial of attorney fees is moot." If they had addressed it at all. It's not unusual for the appellate courts to not even address all the issues on appeal, but then that is partly the fault of the attorneys for listing 42 grounds for appeal.

This happened in Dekalb County, which has a long history of impeding CWPs with bureaucratic nonsense as well as defying the state on many levels. When I had my own business I refused to do work in Dekalb County as they required contractors to register with the county and pay a fee. The state had forbidden this process but there was no punishment in the new laws, much the same as interfering with CWPs.
The asshats still do that to the best if my knowledge!

I got into this very thing trying to get my Father's permit. He had been in trouble in the late 70s and had the record expunged except the original arrest showed up on the 2nd background check. After several phone calls I found out what they were seeing and where it was at. They didn't see any charges buy just an arrest in small town in FL. I called down there and got a very nice lady on the phone who went through their records and couldn't find anything, consistent with the expongement agreement. She even pulled the old files and found an empty folder. I got her to send me a letter of no record on their letterhead, she did, we took it downtown and boom, permit in hand after a week.

What if there are no such records?
Remember, he was not "charged."
No accusation, no indictment.
No "case" that was ever on the docket of any court.
The Solicitor's office probably never even opened a file.
The matter started and ended with just cops' involvement.
A letter of no record will clear the matter.

The hall of records burned in Clayton County a few years back….I had a very similar deal in Douglas county where I had to go to Clayton’s new Courthouse, and go to the basement and look through paper records to find info for the Douglas county probate, which I found, but what if my records were in that burned building?

Back
Top Bottom