• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga. Supreme Court on self-defense

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
The Georgia Supreme Court recently ruled on a case involving a high school girl who was expelled for fighting, even when she said she was just fighting back when she was attacked.
The school said their policy is that anybody involved in a fight is equally guilty, and there's no right to use violence in self-defense at any Henry County school.

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/id...in-Student-Fight-Case?slreturn=20170731202709

The Court of Appeals of Georgia ruled, last year, that it was the school's burden to disprove the girl's self-defense claim once she asserted it, and their failure to even consider it was reversible error. The girl had a 100% win over Henry County schools at that level.

But, supplied with an endless supply of taxpayer money to waste and an anti-individual agenda to promote for the good of the collective, Henry County fought this all the way up to the Ga. Supreme Court.

The highest Court ruled that the school administrative tribunal to not consider her self-defense claim, and the Court of Appeals was correct in saying that the state of Georgia's self-defense laws trump any conflicting school rule or code of conduct.

BUT, the Court also said that the Court of Appeals was wrong to state that it was the School's burden to prove her guilty at the trial-level court where the girl's civil suit was heard. The Supreme Court said that like any other civil litigation, the plaintiff (the one who brings the suit) always bears the burden of proving her case. She she had to not only "claim" self-defense but PROVE it also, with her evidence.

However, I think it's also implicit in this case that the School system cannot presume the girl to be guilty at the administrative tribunal and force her to prove her innocence. The government, when it wants to take away your property or liberty, always has to show cause. That's fundamental due process of law. So the school will have to produce evidence such as videos and witness statements to try to punish kids who fight. The kids are free to use that evidence, and any other evidence they can come up with, to disprove the government's theory at the administrative hearing.

Only if they lose the hearing and have to file a civil suit over the incident will they bear the burden of proving they hit the other kid(s) in necessary self-defense.

We had the same issue in Texas. A couple of school bullies had been harassing my son. He notified the school and they did nothing. When the thugs jumped him, he kicked the crap out of both of them. The school suspended him and I showed up. That was a bad meeting for the principal. She gave me the same school policy crap. I told the principal that the suspension would be the best three days of the school year for my son. I also told he that I'd bring suit against her personally if the thugs jumped my son again. She told me I couldn't sue her. I explained that I knew I'd lose, but would have fun ruining her day every time she got subpoenaed.

I've always said if I won a mega lottery, my new hobby would be to hire a team of attorneys and go around the country sueing these schools, teachers, principles and the administrators. Whether they won or not it would be fun to make their life a living legal hell and costs them a fortune in legal fees. Also hire "protesters" to picket their houses, their parents house, their neighborhoods, schools, meetings etc. Become the "George Soros" for conservatives, gun owners and middle class Americans. Fight fire with fire.

Now I just gotta figure out the winning numbers!

I've always said if I won a mega lottery, my new hobby would be to hire a team of attorneys and go around the country sueing these schools, teachers, principles and the administrators. Whether they won or not it would be fun to make their life a living legal hell and costs them a fortune in legal fees. Also hire "protesters" to picket their houses, their parents house, their neighborhoods, schools, meetings etc. Become the "George Soros" for conservatives, gun owners and middle class Americans. Fight fire with fire.

Best idea for lotto winnings I've ever heard.

Wolf Bloomberg...

The right to self-defense is one of the oldest foundations of law. Those who screw around with it are asking for trouble, and should get it in spades! The old saying: "You screw with the bull and you get the horns" pretty much sums it up! Or as my dearly departed Grandmother so eloquently stated: "Don't go looking for trouble, it will soon find you on its on"!
Sadly, there days, SNOWFLAKES have the crazy notion that "it ain't a fair fight unless the parties are equally armed" ...
This is insanity at its highest level ... Least we forget Samuel Colt's invention of "The Great Equalizer" provided a small woman the equal power of any man ... That's what self defense is all about: attack me and your in for a whole lot of hurt!

It's amazing how the school systems do not use logical thought in what they do. My wife is a teacher and we found out that one of the students took a photo of her from the internet and photoshopped himself behind her holding a kitchen knife like he was going to stab her. The school's reaction to it? A 3 day suspension for the kid and then he would be right back in the school. In record time, I was on the phone with the sheriff's department preparing to press charges against the kid. The next call was to the superintendent to let her know that if the kid wasn't expelled that we would be pressing charges against the student and contacting every local media outlet that I could think of that they weren't protecting their teachers.

They ended up expelling the kid finally, but not before being complete idiots and thinking a 3 day suspension was the best option. They tried to even bring the kid back for end of school year testing and I had to call and talk to the superintendent again and reminding her of the issue. They then scheduled the kid to take his tests after school hours.

When I went in there to have a meeting with the principal at first, I've never been so livid in my entire life. He actually said to me "My son is actually in this student's class too, and I feel safe having him in there".

Back
Top Bottom