• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gander Mountain closings (threads merged)

Just as many have said here, good. Their CS was terrible and they were not priced competitively for anything in store (clothes, accessories, guns, ammo, etc). They rode the Obama is taking our guns/setting up FEMA Camps/is a lizard person paranoia gravy train way too long. I suspect they are not the last as many outdoor stores are going to get a shake down now that people aren't buying guns/ammo/mags hand over fist.

I had this same problem when I went in just before Christmas to buy a 22 rifle for my boys. Stood there waiting for 15-20 minutes. A couple employees were "helping" customers, more like showing them every gun in the place just to waste time. Other time clock riders were standing around on the sales floor talking to other time clock riders (I refuse to call them employees because they were not working), ignoring potential customers. I started to walk out and the Assistant manager asked if I found everything ok. Told her no and I'm going to Academy to buy the same rifle they had, at least I knew I might get some service there. She asked if she offered a discount, would I change my mind. She offered a decent discount, so I said yes. As I was standing at the counter waiting for her to finish up my transaction, I over heard another employee tell the customer they were helping "I work as an hourly employee, so it doesn't matter to me if I help 1 or 20 customers, I get paid the same."
I really wish I could find this guy again and ask him how his method of working turned out for him? Oh, it looks like you will be looking for another job asshat!

So many companies have overlooked the Customer Service part of their business model and just want to make the cash register ring!
"Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order please?"

I won't review my experience in Valdosta's GM, just say I am not a customer anymore. Won't even waste time going in to look. And I'm a gunshow junky. How's that for a negative endorsement?

I was wondering if the McDonough store was one that was closing.
I have an old retired work buddy that works part time there.
he is a super nice, Christian guy and friendly and out going , he is also a worker.
he is really the only one that I talk to when I go down there to visit and chat with him.
Never really bought a lot there though as prices are very high indeed.
The McDonough store hasn't been open that long either, it was converted from a BJ's store actually.
I always thought that this would be an ideal spot for a large indoor range and attached gun shop , good location, easy to get to the expressway, large road sign, loading dock doors, plenty of floor space, good entrance open to the parking lot.
IF I was a millionaire that might be a thought to do.

Might this 'friends' name be Paul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I went to he Snellville store there were less than a dozen cars in the lot and they were having a sale too. Down the road at Academy the lot was full.
Valsdosta is worse. 4-5 cars at GM (some of those are employees) but Academy down the street has a traffic jam at the entrance.

I just made my first purchase from GM EVER a few weeks ago. It was a decent deal on Federal .22 ammo that was posted here in the Steals and deals section. I went in to a few and saw all I needed to see. Never went back.

I just made my first purchase from GM EVER a few weeks ago. It was a decent deal on Federal .22 ammo that was posted here in the Steals and deals section. I went in to a few and saw all I needed to see. Never went back.

LOL, that's how they got the name. Folks go in, take a "gander" and the "mountainous" prices and never come back.

Has this been confirmed? If so that's got to be one of the quickest "Grand opening to closings" in big box history. Not surprised at all. Oh well, at least I got to get my picture taken with Troy Landry there. :cool:
Yes, they posted a list of 32 stores that are getting the ax.

Best Buy built a brand new store in loganville a few years back. It was shut down even quicker, but yeah, this one is up there.

Back
Top Bottom