• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garand Barrel Markings - Need Help!

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
437   0
Reaction score
Hey Gang, this may sound silly but I bought a Garand just for the stock. It was the last piece I needed to complete a Win-13 restoration. Here's the stock :)

26834.jpeg

The rifle was advertised as an all original Winny. I could tell by the sights that it was not the case so I bought the rifle realizing it was probably a mix master. I only needed and cared about the stock and wanted a "shooter" Garand so I guess it worked out as planned.

When I disassembled it I was surprised that it has a fair amount of Winny parts including the receiver, an unmodified Winny slant cut op rod, complete Winny trigger group and a Winny barrel. All but the barrel appear to be WWII.

The barrel is the mystery. The first picture below has the Winny rollmark, some numbers, a date that appears to be 7-67 and a DAS stamp that isn't in the picture. My guess is this is a post war barrel. I guess Winchester continued to make barrels after they quick making Garands. Is this correct?

Then there is what appears to be an import mark on top of the barrel. It has some cool looking logo over "NP", then it has ".30/06 2-49"" This is over "18 TONS". What the heck kind of import stamp is this? I would have thought it would have included some sort of importer name but it doesn't Can you guys help me identify it?

Sorry about the bad pics. Any help is appreciated! Thanks ODT

26837.jpeg

26840.jpeg

Thats a pre cmp gun. Probably came in during the 60's- 70'-80's. Went through England at one point when re-imported into the USA. They stamp them all like that. It is probably not a " Lend Lease rifle" I had a 65-SA Barrel with the same stamp. I would reckon the barrel is a post war rebuild barrel.

( That's probably the newest USGI barrel on earth..LOL)

Thats a pre cmp gun. Probably came in during the 60's- 70'-80's. Went through England at one point when re-imported into the USA. They stamp them all like that. It is probably not a " Lend Lease rifle" I had a 65-SA Barrel with the same stamp. I would reckon the barrel is a post war rebuild barrel.
Ok thanks. It's got some pretty cool features and parts. I'm wondering if I shouldn't replace the op rod before I fire it. What do you think?

Another interesting observation is that the serial number overruns the SA serial numbers. Mine is 1,387,7xx

http://usriflecal30m1.com/ProductionGraph.aspx

Springfield Armory - Winchester Duplicate WW2 Serial Ranges

List courtesy of Rolling Thunder@CMP
Manufacturer Serial Range Start Serial Range End Total (Approx.) Type of Overrun
WRA 1,357,474 1,387,9XX 30,000 WRA overrun of SA serial numbers
SA 2,415,850 2,540,XXX 121,000 SA overrun of WRA serial numbers
WRA 1,601,150 1,640,XXX 39,000 WRA overrun of SA serial numbers (WIN-13)

I have one that doesn’t have those stamps. It does have a “p” on hand grip and serial number on stock. What is the markings mean? Or not having them?

Back
Top Bottom