• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garden Reports AND Learned Anything New?

Sigo

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
Hey, Green Thumbers! How are those gardens looking and what have you learned this season. My garden is doing fairly well. After losing my peas to fungus, I learned to detect it earlier and control it before it takes over.

All other plants are doing well. I did forget the necessity of flowering plants. I was not attracting enough bees, so my cucumbers and peppers are not producing as well as hoped. I got some marigolds and hanging flowers, and they are slowly bringing the bees back. In the interim, I go to the plants every afternoon and give them a gentle shake to get pollen moving about.

NOTE: Do not do this in the am, when there is still dew on the plants, because if there is any fungus in your garden, that's an easy way to spread it.

Because my yard is small, this is an experiment garden, done in buckets and towers. Once we move to our last place with some land, I'll be applying what I learn to there.

Putting everything on a drip system saves me a buncha time. My potato tower did fairly well. It fell victim to garden pests when I was out of town, so I had to harvest them a month early. I am using the smaller potatoes to try to seed for another tower. I tried doing the tower in layers of four, like one person advised. I think the plants were too crowded, because the potatoes were fairly small. This time I will plant two and add dirt as the plant grows higher.

My herbs are doing well. I have begun cutting and drying dill, thyme, lavender, parsley and basil. I add the mint to ice tea. THAT is good... I made some lavender butter and dill butter THAT was good too. We add the basil to cut up tomatoes, some pickled mozzarella cheese and added some balsamic vinegar salad dressing. Then add it to spinach for an incredible salad. I will be turning basil into pesto this week. Oregano has been slow to grow. I think it was due to so much rain or the variety and a bout of fungus. They seem to be doing better now.

My collard greens are doing well. I have to keep an eye out for caterpillars, but other than that they are doing well with the heat since I have them protected against direct sunlight in the afternoon. The spinach and lettuce did well until it started getting hot. I will plant another batch of those toward the end on SEP.

The carrots did not do well. I forgot to thin them and they came in small. They made enough for a stew.

I am harvesting seeds for the second planting. I will start the seeds when I get back from TX in August. Wish me luck.
Greens Lettuce and Spinach.JPG
Plum Tomatoes.JPG
Potatoe Tower.JPG
Starwberries.JPG

I have a bunch of tomato plants. All of the rain has played heck with em though. I try to keep the bottom stems trimmed up and off the ground, but Im having all kinds of water induced issues. Some rot, dying leaves and stems, but still lots of tomatoes. Plenty of cherry, black plum, hybrids and heirlooms. Some were planted very late and are just starting to come on.

Finished harvesting sweet corn this week. Planting 2nd corn crop
Have too many tomatoes and cucumbers. Have been canning for ever. Peppers are coming in. Fighting water, like everyone else.
2nd strawberry harvest is coming in. Eating fresh and jams. About to transplant the runners. will be up to 50 plants.
Peaches are done. Jam, peach butter and still eating fresh. Plums are done. Plum jam and fresh. Apples are coming in. Canned a ton of applesauce.

Potatoes have been harvested. Birds got most of my blueberries. Will be building netting cages over the winter.

Grapes are doing good, should have some next year. .
Watermelons and honeydews are ready for picking. Ate our first honeydew last week.

Figs are growing nicely.

I won't be planting Park's Whoppers anymore and will stick with the tried and true Better Boy variety which is ideal for the heat and humidity of Southwest Georgia. BBs thrive and become tall indeterminate vines with lots of branches yielding tomatoes. Everything seems to be doing well in spite of the bugs and bacterial leaf spot from all of the rain. Got lots of string beans, cukes and asparagus early on. And I'm still harvesting tomatoes, jalapenos, okra and still more asparagus. Every afternoon shower seems to cause more asparagus to sprout and I have collected more than 4- quart bags this season. The okra and jalapenos will continue to produce until the frost kills in November. My garden is 16' x 24' and I prefer to use black plastic mulch to minimize weeding. A soaker hose is under the plastic and a sprinkler is mounted on a post for aerial watering. I bought farm fence posts and welded cattle fencing from Tractor Supply and find that it works well to grow pole beans and cucumbers as well as keeping out dogs. The cat always finds a way in. In the first photo, the okra is second from the left (pole string bean is Mountaineer or Dutch White Half Runner variety). Currently, the okra is at least a foot taller than the fence and will grow 8 to 10 feet. It is Silver Queen variety. This year in spite of all of the rain and bug issues and being able to spray the garden just two times, the garden still produced a bumper crop of everything planted. I do thank the Good Lord for His blessings!

One concern. After 25 years of growing this garden, the honeybees are now a rare sight. Since then, bumblebees became primary but their ranks are thinned. This year other types of bees are doing the work. I know there have been diseases attacking native honey bees and bumblebees Think about it- most every plant requires a third party pollinator to produce fruit. Without a pollinator, yields can drop dramatically.

I use Pyola for insect control (pyrethrins and canola oil with a wetting agent) and I apply it in the evening after the pollinators have left. Sign up for the catalog and wait for the $25 credit coupon on the catalog front page. http://www.gardensalive.com/?p=0170...gn=Brand-Gardens_Alive&utm_term=gardens+alive

2017 Garden 2 of 2.jpg

2017 Garden 1 of 2.jpg

Finished harvesting sweet corn this week. Planting 2nd corn crop
Have too many tomatoes and cucumbers. Have been canning for ever. Peppers are coming in. Fighting water, like everyone else.
2nd strawberry harvest is coming in. Eating fresh and jams. About to transplant the runners. will be up to 50 plants.
Peaches are done. Jam, peach butter and still eating fresh. Plums are done. Plum jam and fresh. Apples are coming in. Canned a ton of applesauce.

Potatoes have been harvested. Birds got most of my blueberries. Will be building netting cages over the winter.

Grapes are doing good, should have some next year. .
Watermelons and honeydews are ready for picking. Ate our first honeydew last week.

Figs are growing nicely.
Brown Turkey figs....YUM!

I won't be planting Park's Whoppers anymore and will stick with the tried and true Better Boy variety which is ideal for the heat and humidity of Southwest Georgia. BBs thrive and become tall indeterminate vines with lots of branches yielding tomatoes. Everything seems to be doing well in spite of the bugs and bacterial leaf spot from all of the rain. Got lots of string beans, cukes and asparagus early on. And I'm still harvesting tomatoes, jalapenos, okra and still more asparagus. Every afternoon shower seems to cause more asparagus to sprout and I have collected more than 4- quart bags this season. The okra and jalapenos will continue to produce until the frost kills in November. My garden is 16' x 24' and I prefer to use black plastic mulch to minimize weeding. A soaker hose is under the plastic and a sprinkler is mounted on a post for aerial watering. I bought farm fence posts and welded cattle fencing from Tractor Supply and find that it works well to grow pole beans and cucumbers as well as keeping out dogs. The cat always finds a way in. In the first photo, the okra is second from the left (pole string bean is Mountaineer or Dutch White Half Runner variety). Currently, the okra is at least a foot taller than the fence and will grow 8 to 10 feet. It is Silver Queen variety. This year in spite of all of the rain and bug issues and being able to spray the garden just two times, the garden still produced a bumper crop of everything planted. I do thank the Good Lord for His blessings!

One concern. After 25 years of growing this garden, the honeybees are now a rare sight. Since then, bumblebees became primary but their ranks are thinned. This year other types of bees are doing the work. I know there have been diseases attacking native honey bees and bumblebees Think about it- most every plant requires a third party pollinator to produce fruit. Without a pollinator, yields can drop dramatically.

I use Pyola for insect control (pyrethrins and canola oil with a wetting agent) and I apply it in the evening after the pollinators have left. Sign up for the catalog and wait for the $25 credit coupon on the catalog front page. http://www.gardensalive.com/?p=0170...gn=Brand-Gardens_Alive&utm_term=gardens+alive

View attachment 1255563
View attachment 1255564
Great info. Gonna check out the site.

Japanese beetles got into my collards and broccoli before I caught them. All of the rain and overcast skies stunted my corn. Tomatoes and green beans did fairly well and I just pulled my onions to dry. Too much rain in June and blistering heat in July really wrecked havoc but I'm hoping my pumpkins will do well.

Back
Top Bottom