• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garden Reports AND Learned Anything New?

Third strawberry harvest is coming in. Mom made strawberry and fig jam today.. Figs have gone gangbusters this year. Watermelons are big, but not as sweet. Too much water? Cantalopes are good.
Driplines for strawberried work great. They are plumbed into an IBC rain barrel, 270ish gallons of water. Open up the faucet for 3 hours and then shut it. This year we put up 10 IBC rain barrels, in addition to my old barrels. 3500 gal of water stored up. If we have a repead of last summer, I will be ready.

Third strawberry harvest is coming in. Mom made strawberry and fig jam today.. Figs have gone gangbusters this year. Watermelons are big, but not as sweet. Too much water? Cantalopes are good.
Driplines for strawberried work great. They are plumbed into an IBC rain barrel, 270ish gallons of water. Open up the faucet for 3 hours and then shut it. This year we put up 10 IBC rain barrels, in addition to my old barrels. 3500 gal of water stored up. If we have a repead of last summer, I will be ready.
Jeddak, I noticed my strawberries have lately been coming in stunted. Any ideas?

As in small size? How much sunlight and water are they getting?
It has been very warm. I drip water mine once a week if it has not rained in a week (1/2 gallon per plant), and they are heavily mulched with pine straw and plastic.

Do you fertilize? I really like Miracle Grow soluble fertilizer for berries and vegetables. Add it to you water.
https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-...921&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=solubale+furtilazer

Slow release feeding spikes for trees and bushes.

BTW, late September, October is the time to add the slow release fertilizer into your soil, so it can get drawn up and stored in the trees for winter and be there for the new leaves and blossoms.

As in small size? How much sunlight and water are they getting?
It has been very warm. I drip water mine once a week if it has not rained in a week (1/2 gallon per plant), and they are heavily mulched with pine straw and plastic.

Do you fertilize? I really like Miracle Grow soluble fertilizer for berries and vegetables. Add it to you water.
https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-...921&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=solubale+furtilazer

Slow release feeding spikes for trees and bushes.

BTW, late September, October is the time to add the slow release fertilizer into your soil, so it can get drawn up and stored in the trees for winter and be there for the new leaves and blossoms.
Thanks. Most are small. A few good size ones. I was away, so they missed a fertilizing, I just fixed that. They are on a drip. I wondered if it was the temps, but its been cooling down. Thanks for the reminder on the slow release. It is time for that again. Tomorrow.

I learned something new this year. After pulling up your summer garden and then prepping soil and replanting for fall DO NOT LET YOUR CHICKENS OUT! I turn them out every evening and yesterday they enjoyed every leafy green I planted down to the nub. 3 rows of collards and 2 rows of broccoli.

Back
Top Bottom