• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garden Reports AND Learned Anything New?

Jeddak Jeddak

Any expierence with cherries in carrolton?

Were considering putting some out but dont know if it will get cold enough.
Specifically rainer cherries.
Thanks

Anyone with expierence, feel free share advice.

Jeddak Jeddak

Any expierence with cherries in carrolton?

Were considering putting some out but dont know if it will get cold enough.
Specifically rainer cherries.
Thanks

Anyone with expierence, feel free share advice.

In short, yes, cherries will give fruit in Carrollton, BUT you have to be careful what trees you pick. We are in zone 7B.
I have two sweet cherries, Bing and Black Tartan. Both came from Arbor day foundation (I do NOT recommend their fruit trees and hazelnuts). Both are rated to zone 8. This was a 3rd year with fruit, but it was very small (barely bigger than a pit) and bitter, for the 3rd year. I am leaving these trees be, for now, as pollinators, but I am ordering 2 new ones from Stark brothers. I found one that was rated to zone 9 (southern GA), so it will be OK here.

Splurge for potted plants, not bare roots. Extra $20, but trees will spend less time (as in a year or two less) growing new roots, so you will get fruit sooner.

I might have some nice cherry wood for my kebabs, after new trees are established and after take my duds are taken out.

Really really wish I knew more about wild mushrooms. Supposedly this guy is safe to eat, it would be quite a feast!

Attachments

• IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 15
The cool temps following Irma pretty well stunted my 8 foot okra, and dropped the yield to less than 1 quart per week. Overall, I've picked around 24 quarts and am slowing filling another bag.

I've been buying plants for the winter garden this week and plan to till everything except a few okra stalks and the jalapenos which are still making. My winter lineup includes: Kale, Shogun turnip tops, Southern Curled mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, Vidalia onions, and Emerald broccoli. If I can get some snow peas planted, so much the better.

The cool temps following Irma pretty well stunted my 8 foot okra, and dropped the yield to less than 1 quart per week. Overall, I've picked around 24 quarts and am slowing filling another bag.

I've been buying plants for the winter garden this week and plan to till everything except a few okra stalks and the jalapenos which are still making. My winter lineup includes: Kale, Shogun turnip tops, Southern Curled mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, Vidalia onions, and Emerald broccoli. If I can get some snow peas planted, so much the better.
carrots grow good in the winter also

Winter Garden 2017-18.
From Left: Snow peas on wire fence, 18 Brussells Sprout plants, Bibb and Roamine lettuce plants- 6 each, Leaf turnips, Mustard, Kale, 2 rows of Vidalia onions, and more snow peas on the fence. The tall stuff at the bottom of the photo is this year's asparagus. On the far left bottom corner (not visible) is a 5' x 4' square where I did have jalapenos that have been removed and my cat has claimed the area as her outdoor litter box. Better there than where the food is growing.

Winter Garden 2017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom