• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gardeners beware of Aminopyralid!

Torn

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
52   0
Reaction score
I lost all of my tomato plants to Aminopyralid poisoning. Aminopyralid is a broadleaf herbicide that is sprayed on grass. When it is eaten by animals it passes thru their digestive system but remains in the manure. It also remains in the grass when it is baled for hay. I used cow manure and also spread hay around my plants to hold moisture but the Aminopyralid leeched into the soil and the plant’s new growth began to curl into tight circles and weird shapes.

I don’t know if it came from the hay or the manure but I am having to get rid of all of the soil in two raised beds as it contaminates the soil for years and start with new plants. Here is a link to better explain this chemical’s effect and why Vermont has banned it.

https://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/great-news-vermont-bans-aminopyralids/

For us beginners how did you determine that as the cause, send off soil samples somewhere?
I noticed the new growth was curling and making weird “Dr. Seuss” shaped growth so I started searching and found pictures from others that showed the exact deformations and followed up on several articles about it.

Back
Top Bottom