• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gardeners beware of Aminopyralid!

I read about this awhile back. I do not remember the specific herbicide, but it will deteriorate over time. I have a huge pile of hay/manure that I am allowing to break down to make it safe to use. I think 2-3 years will do it?

I read about this awhile back. I do not remember the specific herbicide, but it will deteriorate over time. I have a huge pile of hay/manure that I am allowing to break down to make it safe to use. I think 2-3 years will do it?

Nope. Can go as long as 10 years based on my experience.

It is the active ingredient in Grazon. There is not a hay producer in Ga that doesn't use it. I have used it for years.

Best to not use ANY manure for plants you don't want to kill.

I have a large pile of manure I got about 10 to 12 years ago. There are some flowers trying to grow on it. I check every year just to see what is going on. It is just now starting to grow without withering and dying in 2-3 weeks.

That Grazon is tough stuff, and this is in the manure.

I lost all of my tomato plants to Aminopyralid poisoning. Aminopyralid is a broadleaf herbicide that is sprayed on grass. When it is eaten by animals it passes thru their digestive system but remains in the manure. It also remains in the grass when it is baled for hay. I used cow manure and also spread hay around my plants to hold moisture but the Aminopyralid leeched into the soil and the plant’s new growth began to curl into tight circles and weird shapes.

I don’t know if it came from the hay or the manure but I am having to get rid of all of the soil in two raised beds as it contaminates the soil for years and start with new plants. Here is a link to better explain this chemical’s effect and why Vermont has banned it.

https://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/great-news-vermont-bans-aminopyralids/

That sucks big time. Sorry to hear about your beds, & thanks for the heads up.

Nope. Can go as long as 10 years based on my experience.

It is the active ingredient in Grazon. There is not a hay producer in Ga that doesn't use it. I have used it for years.

Best to not use ANY manure for plants you don't want to kill.
Grazon is one of the herbicides I read about. Thanks for the info.

Well I removed all of the soil from the two raised beds, replaced it with new Jungle Growth and luckily Lowe’s had some nice Roma and Better Boy tomato plants. I normally raise my plants from seeds using grow lights but it’s too late to start a new batch so hopefully these Bonnie plants will do well.

I lost all of my tomato plants to Aminopyralid poisoning. Aminopyralid is a broadleaf herbicide that is sprayed on grass. When it is eaten by animals it passes thru their digestive system but remains in the manure. It also remains in the grass when it is baled for hay. I used cow manure and also spread hay around my plants to hold moisture but the Aminopyralid leeched into the soil and the plant’s new growth began to curl into tight circles and weird shapes.

I don’t know if it came from the hay or the manure but I am having to get rid of all of the soil in two raised beds as it contaminates the soil for years and start with new plants. Here is a link to better explain this chemical’s effect and why Vermont has banned it.

https://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/great-news-vermont-bans-aminopyralids/
This stuff is used so commonly that it could come from about anywhere. The only manure that I would feel safe using would be from a barn that feeds ONLY alfalfa. Thought I had contaminated my soil with this last year but now believe it was other factors. One variety of tomato was curling, others grown in the same soil did not. Hope you are able to get this out of your soil. Is fine distributed on a lawn. They say corn grows well in it but I wouldn’t want to knowingly eat it.

Back
Top Bottom