• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas fireplace help needed

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
so we have a gas fireplace with the fake logs in it. It has a chimney. We have used the gas fireplace sometimes, but all the heat seems to go right up the chimney. Are there ways to improve the efficiency and appearance of these gas fireplaces? I’ve seen some with some kind of gravel on the bottom that heats up and glows? What is that ? Can I use that ?

I know absolutely nothing about these things so any help would be appreciated!

Natural Gas or LP?

Vented is more for decoration (what you have) because the heat/fumes go up the chimney.

You can get a Non-Vented version which will heat the room up nicely but you should consult a pro for proper installation (help)

Lots of older homes in my area have converted from the vented to the ventless versions to use for heat.

I’m about to pull the trigger and get myself a ventless version as I’ve had the LP line installed in my wood burning fireplace.

Natural Gas or LP?

Vented is more for decoration (what you have) because the heat/fumes go up the chimney.

You can get a Non-Vented version which will heat the room up nicely but you should consult a pro for proper installation (help)

Lots of older homes in my area have converted from the vented to the ventless versions to use for heat.

I’m about to pull the trigger and get myself a ventless version as I’ve had the LP line installed in my wood burning fireplace.

It’s natural gas

Get a ventless unit installed. You run it with your damper closed verses a vented unit that runs with the damper open. On a vented unit almost all you heat is escaping up the chimney. I have one (a ventless unit) in my den and that's about all the heat we need for downstairs.

We had a ventless in our last house. You couldn't turn it on, because it would run you out of the den... and other parts of the house too. That biyatch was hot AF

Back
Top Bottom