• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas Piston AR upper

there are quite a few. I have a non piston LMT but they make a piston version. POF makes them, LWRC, Ruger, and I'm sure there are plenty of others. I thought about it when I was buying my LMT but as someone told me, "it answers a question no one is asking"... :)

seriously, I can see the advantages but piston vs DI, but unless you are shooting thousands of rounds without cleaning, or just shooting really dirty surplus ammo all the time, I just didn't see the need to get one. I can upgrade my LMT MRP any time to the piston version but just don't see the need. Even in the 308 size AR, the DI guns seem to be going fine... IMHO.

19 Kilo........+1

You are right about the AA conversion kits they have to be the lightest by far. Some of those piston uppers are extremly front heavy by the time you add other crap to the front too. Got a buddy that has one, and he has the quad rail, and he has the bipod, and the grip, and the light, and thank goodness he has the bipod, you can't hold the thing up. Works great if you up on a building shootin down I guess.

SpeedyR........+1

I have a hard time justifying the cost, all my AR's are DI and run fine. They are reliable, don't have any issues with 'em. Just can't get over the cost, they don't do that much for me and I can purchase more ammo...........or start building another AR....DI of course:)

I don't think I could ever justify the cost either. If my DI system caused a problem then Id think about getting one. Most of the pistol systems to me make the weapon too front heavy. I know the ruger piston AR is WAYYYY to front heavy. The conversion kits are cool but until my DI system causes a problem... ima stick with it.

Ruger, LMT, PWS (primary weapon systems) to name a few. I think just about every manufacturer has joined the piston club.

Back
Top Bottom