• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas prices.....

I can remember as a kid goig with my dad and tell Stu $5 and it would fill up the 65 Gran Prix. When I started driving it was about .49. $3 would fill my MG.

I saw gas at 13 cents a gallon and cigarettes were 15 cents a pack,Coke was a nickel.Krystals a dime
Yeah, i bet you walked uphill to school both ways, in the snow, no matter how deep it was too ! :cool:

It’s ok Daddy-O , i remember walking clear across the room to change the t.v. Station using a set of vise-grips and a broken coat hanger for rabbit ears. :becky:

are pathetic!
It was 89 cents/gallon when I started driving.
How much was it per gallon when you first began driving?

Dead Horse, I know.

Rant over.
View attachment 2152813

39 cents, and you didn't have to pump it yourself.

My father just knew the end of the world was just over the horizon when gas first hit $1 a gallon.

He would only fill his truck half full, because he didn't want to be called home with gas left that he had paid for.

2008 (I'm young) was maybe $1.25-1.30 in Northeast GA? But then it went to $4 several years later when I lived in Royston and it's been dropping for the most part. I work in Alabama and their gas used to be really cheaper than ours but they recently did a tax increase. Company I work for has higher gas than other stores in the area and everyone moans and complains about it, how we price gouge even though we go by corporate because they go by what they paid for it.

I could fill my 89 Maxima up for $15-20 usually from what I remember. Saturn was good on gas too. My H3, well, it makes me cuss to this day at how much gas it drinks, but it's paid for so I put up with it.

a little under .50 cents. full service stations and real gas. not this crap today with corn in it. the tv got three channels and two of them were snow. you had to get up to change channels. am radio was king and fm radio was hard to find in north georgia.

In reality, if you plug these numbers into an inflation calculator, gas is really about the same price it's always been.

Yeah, I do hate to admit I remember $0.25 gas, but I also looked over what my Dad made at the time, when I sorted through his old tax returns after he died. and percentage-wise it wasn't that different than the average income today and gas prices... plus most cars today get a heckuva lot better mileage.

We also dodged a bullet with the technology of oil drilling.

Things like fracking and horizontal drilling make what used to be marginal or dead fields viable again. If you had told me that the US would become the top oil exporter in the world back when I was waiting in 20-car lines during the oil embargo I would have thought you had lost your mind. Today it's the reality, and our gasoline prices prove it.

And as more and more folks switch over to cars that use electricity in some way or another to extend or eliminate gas, the relative cost of gas should continue dropping compared with income.

Even the market has adjusted to the new reality. Oil prices spiked when the second Iraq war started, but they didn;t stay up for too long because the amount of oil 'lost' was no a significant part of the oil economy anymore. Between the US and Russia the Middle East simply isn't the sole decider of world oil prices anymore.

I know it sounds like gas used to be a lot cheaper back in the 60's and 70s, but in reality, compared to what people were bringing home in their paychecks, it really wasn't any different that what we see today.

Back
Top Bottom