Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

GCO Sues Corps of Engineers Over Right to Carry On Corps Property

Thread in 'Law & Order' started by tmoore912, Jun 13, 2014.

1. baxterday

baxterday ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

36   0

Rating
    100%
    I donate to GCO a few times a year also, they do a lot of good for our rights. Sounds like a win in CO, which will probably mean a win here in GA as well. I was actually under the impression we could carry on ACE land. I wouldn't visit any of the places described with out mine. We have camped at Doll MTN and Woodring, both times I was armed.

2. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU Moderator Staff Member

35   0

Rating
    100%
    Tying the two together is ridiculous. Get rid of the government issued permission slip. Fight the off limit places as needed. They are not related regardless of the wording of current legislation.
    I have my suspicions why they fought it. Support them, or not, as you choose. When they refused to support the removal of THE SINGLE MOST EGREGIOUS INFRINGEMENT on our 2A rights and couldn't articulate a intelligible reason why (worried that "teenagers couldn't hunt with their fathers"? Give me a freaking break) in this state, I was done. The permit requirement is the only infringement that affects ALL Georgians. They'd rather (apparently) to claim victories over relatively inconsequential battles. Keeps the funds flowing I guess.

3. tmoore912

tmoore912 ODT Junkie!

27   0

Rating
    100%
    @baxterday A violation of 36 C.F.R. § 327.13 is punishable by a $5,000 fine or imprisonment for 6 months or both.

4. spencer60

spencer60 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

204   0

GA Carry Contributor NRA Contributor
    Rating
    100%
    There are lots of reasons to be against a particular bill even if you believe the end result is good.

I was a little surprised that the NRA-ILA was urging people to tell their Utah state reps to vote AGAINST the Constitutional Carry bill there, but it turned out it was so poorly written, people would be in worse shape if it passed, due to other (pretty bizarre) restrictions they have on the books already.

If GCO had unlimited money, time and people I'd be all over them to push for Constitutional Carry in GA.

The reality is they can only focus on one thing at a time, and I'm 100% on-board with them limiting their scope to getting rid of gun free zones, whether they are in Atlanta Botanical Gardens or Corp land.

While in theory a 'permission slip' should not be required, in reality GA has one of the best systems in the US. I'll live with that if it means GCO can focus on more pressing issues.

5. Bypass

Bypass Evil Genius Supporter

Sponsor

142   0

Rating
    100%
    There's no place safe anymore and I fish all the time so being unarmed while doing so pisses me off greatly.

elmosdad, Necrosis and Barbwire like this.
  6. woodstock

woodstock INCARCERATED Supporter

Supporter

74   0

Rating
    100%
  7. araomd

araomd ODT Junkie!

37   0

Rating
    100%
  8. tmoore912

tmoore912 ODT Junkie!

27   0

Rating
    100%
    New US House bill on this issue introduced about a month ago.

H.R.1045 - Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act of 2017

Sponsor: Rep. Gibbs, Bob [R-OH-7] (Introduced 02/14/2017)
    Committees: House - Transportation and Infrastructure
    Latest Action: 02/15/2017 Referred to the Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1045/text

New bill introduced similar to one in 2015.

http://www.guns.com/2017/03/15/bill-filed-to-end-army-corps-of-engineers-ban-on-guns/

9. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    Even though the Corps has won its right to deny gun carry on their federal property in court, it is choosing to review individual applications for written permission to carry.
    The Corps has granted that permission to several of us GeorgiaCarry.org members who submitted a letter requesting that written permission and gave the Corps copies of the front and back sides of our Georgia Weapons Carry Licenses.

I got my carry approval letter in the mail today.

10. js415

js415 ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

192   0

Rating
    100%
    I received mine today as well.

I can finally carry legally on ACoE property and waterways, without fear of being arrested.

Jerry