• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Installation

500mag

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
FREE MEN DO NOT ASK PERMISSION TO BEAR ARMS
284   2
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dealer/installer for a Generac whole home natural gas generator? Thanks!

I did mine myself, instructions are included. Any competent electrician could either do the electrical portion, or inspect and certify/correct the installation.
Thanks. I do have a good electrician. I think there needs to me a concrete slab underneath it, though, right?

I put 6 12x12 concrete paving bricks under mine, and anchored the genset with masonry screws. I put pea gravel in the exhaust area, it is spaced 3 ft from the house's Hardiplank siding. It has been in place since 2006 with no issues, runs it's 15 minute self test every Sunday. I change the oil once a year (runs cleaner than gasoline engines), change the air filter and plugs also. Have only had to replace the starting battery once, a few years ago.

Can anyone recommend a good dealer/installer for a Generac whole home natural gas generator? Thanks!

You better stay away from Generac!!! Check out BBB complaints! Generac dos not honor warranty, even when the 20KW bought on LOWES website, was only 8 months old stopped working...

I now have an $8,000. boat anchor...I keep getting emails\ offers from Generac to buy whole house gen. now & get 10yr. free warranty, ha ha what a joke. I am not the only one either.
Oh by the way I forgot to disclose that my gen. did have a lot of hours on it when it quit doing the weekly automated starts (it had 3 hrs. on it).

Which local Generac dealer installed yours ??

The installation was done correctly, Blue Ridge EMC. A Generac dealer installed a new "motherboard" or control panel 7 years ago. It worked for about 5 months. The last Generac dealer was here last year (same problem) control panel bad again. Both repairmen stated that these units are known to have control panels that go out...It sill has only 3 hrs total run time from the "auto starts". This same dealer said to replace panel & labor would be: $950. Or they could sell me a new whole house "20kw" for approx. $8,000. installed & they would take away my old (8yrs. "20kw") for me! What a deal. I would then have $16,000. put into 2 units. Side note, an attorney from California called me to ask questions about my experience with my Generac. Something about a class action lawsuit that is being started. P.S. When I called LOWE'S to get Gen replaced or repaired they said we have nothing to do with it as you purchased it from LOWE'S Website Online!!!

If I could find an Electrician that would take off all of the electronic garbage of of this unit, I'm sure it would run fine manually.

Back
Top Bottom