• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

I was pleasantly surprised on how long my treated ethanol free fuel lasted..I used up the last 5 gal of the old fuel, which was up to 5 years old..I have since treated and filled all the 5 gal tanks recently..Genny always turned fuel off and run it out of fuel, before putting up and hooking back up to the battery tender.

I used a 30 amp RV 50 ft cord, I got for a box of 12 gage shells, cut one ends off and put on regular males to plug into the Generator power out and the selected outlet inside the teepee once power pole is dis connected.

Use that Stabil stuff and the gas will last for years...
Not the crap with ethanol. It appears to be only good for about a year then gets yellowish and smells funky. At least with the BP 10%.
Left some in the generator tank too long a few years ago, wouldn’t crank with it, had to dump and clean the tank, carb got gunked up (didn’t run it dry at shutdown).
Didn’t want to pull and clean the carb, took a year or so and a couple bottles of carb cleaner before it would idle.

I want to thank 10thmountain 10thmountain for starting this thread and the rest of the ODT members who have contributed to it, particularly NWSharpshooter NWSharpshooter . Based on your posts I bought the Ford dual fuel generator when it was on sale at HD. I could not find an interlock specifically designed for the panel in my house so I made a cardboard template to have one made out of steel. I am installing a 50 Amp generator breaker wired to a 50 Amp power inlet box. I have seen several setups without the Interlock with the instructions to turn off the main breaker written on the panel - I just wanted to take the extra precaution of installing one. I chose the 50 amp set up based on the V x A =W equation: 220V x 50A = 11,000W (the Ford is rated 11,050/9000W). Thank you again, a lot a great information on this post from everyone.

I want to thank 10thmountain 10thmountain for starting this thread and the rest of the ODT members who have contributed to it, particularly NWSharpshooter NWSharpshooter . Based on your posts I bought the Ford dual fuel generator when it was on sale at HD. I could not find an interlock specifically designed for the panel in my house so I made a cardboard template to have one made out of steel. I am installing a 50 Amp generator breaker wired to a 50 Amp power inlet box. I have seen several setups without the Interlock with the instructions to turn off the main breaker written on the panel - I just wanted to take the extra precaution of installing one. I chose the 50 amp set up based on the V x A =W equation: 220V x 50A = 11,000W (the Ford is rated 11,050/9000W). Thank you again, a lot a great information on this post from everyone.

glad it worked out for you! Have you seen what that Ford is selling for now?

Back
Top Bottom