• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

If Generac has long lead time.. I went with 20kw propane Cummins air-cooled installed by authorized dealer in Royston, around $9K, the genset auto-runs for 15 minutes twice a month, very happy so far, BIG peace of mind

I’ve only had 1 power outage since last November, was running 4 hours or so in middle of night, never woke me up although genset is 35 feet from my bed.

I changed from the Generac unit to the Cummins. The delivery date for the Generac would have been Dec or Jan.

I would love to have one. They are great. I looked into the idea of getting one for a long-term grid down scenario - compared one to a solar system. I don't have the outdoor area for either. With my assumptions and their data sheet, I figured I could make it on about 10 of the 500 gallon tanks if I ran just essential items for about 12 hrs a day. The good thing about propane is it doesn't go bad.

FYI those that have generators, make sure that you run them every couple of months and keep up with maintenance. A few friends work in that industry (larger commercial versions) are always amazed at the number of people that purchase generators and then they just sit for a few years out in the weather and then they don't understand why they don't work when needed. Places like hospitals and data centers have to run them every month for 10-15 minutes.

Battery for starter, change oil, check air filter if it's got one, spark plugs if it's gas, etc. etc.

I have a small one that I can run my fridge/freezer, a few lights, and charge electronics. As long as I can have a cold drink, not loose my food storage and have my phone/lights, I'm good for a few weeks.

FYI those that have generators, make sure that you run them every couple of months and keep up with maintenance. A few friends work in that industry (larger commercial versions) are always amazed at the number of people that purchase generators and then they just sit for a few years out in the weather and then they don't understand why they don't work when needed. Places like hospitals and data centers have to run them every month for 10-15 minutes.

Battery for starter, change oil, check air filter if it's got one, spark plugs if it's gas, etc. etc.

I have a small one that I can run my fridge/freezer, a few lights, and charge electronics. As long as I can have a cold drink, not loose my food storage and have my phone/lights, I'm good for a few weeks.
The big thing I did with my Y2K-bought generator was to completely run out all the gas in it and drained the carb bowl before I stored it and made sure the oil and filter were good. Last time I had to run it recently for a 2 day power outage it cranked right up and ran fine...

Non-ethanol fuel
Fuel stabilizer
Spare spark plug.
Run every month and shut off fuel to carb to run out fuel.
Spare oil and filter.
Solar trickle charger on battery. Replace before it fails.
You still have to drain the carb bowl even if you run out the gas feed to it. Otherwise you'll have a bowl of near-full gas just sitting there to gum up the main fuel jet line to the innards of the carb...ain't no getting around that part.

Non-ethanol fuel
Fuel stabilizer
Spare spark plug.
Run every month and shut off fuel to carb to run out fuel.
Spare oil and filter.
Solar trickle charger on battery. Replace before it fails.

I have had the same Generac gas generator for about 20 years. I feed a power panel through a dedicated 240 volt receptacle. It has worked flawlessly every time I needed it.

I follow much the same routine you do, except I only run it for about 30 minutes every 6 months. It has saved my butt more than once for several days at a time.

The gas is a pain to deal with. Every two years I swap-out the gas with fresh gas treated with fuel stabilizer. I just put that older gas in a car and use it.

A propane or natural gas generator would definitely be less of a hassle.

Faraday cage.

A faraday cage would be needed but not sufficient for a generator that was wired to automatically come on and power the house at the loss of utility power. A person would be smart to consider an induced power spike riding in on the incoming power and control lines. Some kind of surge protectors would be in order.

Back
Top Bottom