• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

I'm thinking of having a whole house propane generator installed. ( which means I'm going to need a tank as well) Just how noisy are propane powered generators and are they reliable?
The neighbor has a generac propane generator. You can hear it from the street, but I doubt you can hear it inside. I'd wager they're damned reliable.

I'm thinking of having a whole house propane generator installed. ( which means I'm going to need a tank as well) Just how noisy are propane powered generators and are they reliable?
My Generac is Propane. Sounds like a lawn mower. I have had mine two years. 10yr warranty . They come once a year to pull maintenance and it is programmed to come on each week for five minutes for a self check. My heat in the house is propane also but I got a separate tank for the Generator. Completely satisfied.

I have got a couple of old fashioned Coleman generators (4500 & 5500) that were gasoline. After taking them to the shop every year because I let the gas go stale or gunk up, I had them both converted to propane. What a difference! Easier to start and I have many 20# tanks, thus portable. When I had the house built in 1993, I had a separate internal wiring system for the hot water heater, well pump and refrigerator. All 3 appliances were soft wired so I could unplug from the grid and plug into internal house. I then can hook up generator(s) to the internal wiring and not worry about backfeed. All went well until we replaced the hot water heater with a Rheem 50 gal. unit. We were neighborhood heros a couple years ago when we lost power. We had running water and it was hot. Day 4 of the outage we had cold water only. Apparently, the new water heaters have electronic brains and this one got fried after the 'pulsing' of the generator. Rheem was great and overnighted a new brain, which I installed after we had normal power restored. Home Depot (where I bought the heater) was a a loss on how to prevent a recurrence (and did not know it could occur.) The closest solution is get a device that modifies the syne wave (huh?) or I get a 30 gallon brainless (old fashioned reliable) water heater as a backup with secondary plumbing.

Champion 8750 gasoline to which I added a propane conversion kit. Can supply 50A service to the house.
As DD stated above, use Stabil ( I personally use the blue Marine grade ) but either is better than nothing. Make sure that you run the generator at least every other month and put a load on it. Plug your air compressor in or your welder when you are doing a project. By doing this you may discover a potential problem that can be corrected prior to needing it for an outage.

I as well but I want Duel fuel, will need the genny, The electrics installed for auto turn on and Fuel tank...Also thinking about converting from Electric stove and oven to gas..I am damn sick and tired of dealing with Amacolola Electric....
We always want gas furnace, hot water heater, and stove/oven.
Our across the street neighbor was total electric and always had a service tech over there. Plus had propane back-up furnace for when the heat pump couldn’t keep up.

16 KW Generac, propane, no natural gas up here in the mountains. Comes on automatically when the power goes out. The company that installed it come out twice a year to service (maintenance agreement.) Does sound like a lawnmower. First one we have ever owned after almost 40 years living in Gwinnett County. DinkDau, I don't think Georgia Power is any better. We were out of power for 3 days after Zeta came through.

I as well but I want Duel fuel, will need the genny, The electrics installed for auto turn on and Fuel tank...Also thinking about converting from Electric stove and oven to gas..I am damn sick and tired of dealing with Amacolola Electric....

I’ve got an almost brand new General 6500, but seriously thinking about this one. I’m kicking myself I didn’t look into a duel fuel genny.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ford-11...or-457-cc-CARB-Compliant-FG11050PBE/302907262

Not sure of the brand, but damn. Someone go get this.

8B4A1304-738A-4144-A622-194BE3D67329.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom