• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Bulldog Needs Some Silver

Brownells force 44 has worked very well for me over the years.

4% silver and 96% tin

475 degree melting point

Yep, I saw that. I may try it if the Tix solder fails to hold this 2nd go around. It was real thin at the top.

Acmech,

I have heard that most of the metal can be submerged in water, exposing just the portion to be soldered.

I can finger paint with the best of them.

So closure or at least I hope so as I have not test fired this old girl yet.

I finally farmed it out to a professional gun smith to have the sight silver soldered this summer and picked it up a a couple of months ago.

Well, the original sight was gone.

The sight was replaced with a rifle sight with a standard 3/8th dove tail cut (rifle sight). The blade was shaved down and the exposed metal wasn't re-blued. The edge of the front sight blade was razor sharp-it honestly was a sight "blade" now. The front sight also had a hook that would snag easily it holstered/carried in a pocket. The blade was razor thin and my old eyes could barely see it with room light. The left side if the sight is damaged from a cut for what appears to be a missing sight hood.

I also asked that the gun not be re-finished. Somehow they missed the "not"... At least they didn't re-finish the cylinder/crane/ejection rod-that is my work.

So without further ado.

You can see the white metal exposed on the blued steel sight "blade"...

DSC_0116.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

What a pitiful "sight"... I can't have Dad's Bulldog in my safe like that... First order of business was the day I brought it home I went to my shop and fixed that abrasive aluminum oxide blast with a nice glass bead blast that matches the cylinder/crane/ejection rod.

So a new low profile large dot 3/8" dovetail came in today. I had to trim it down, fit and re-blue the white metal exposed.

Not too shabby and I feel much better now. Hopefully test firing it will go fine...

DSC_0130.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0136.JPG

Looks decent again RR. I can imagine your dismay in getting back the revolver from a "gunsmith ".

He normally does real good work. That said when we were discussing the fix for this gun he may have suggested he may give it to someone who could silver solder. That may have been the weak link. I dunno. I won't give him this type of work again.

I was shocked to say the least. The blade was so thin, hooked and razor sharp. It filled about 1/8 or less of the rather large rear sight notch when getting a sight picture. It was near worthless but at least the base seems solid and a rifle sight with a large dot does okay.

It really appeared whoever worked on it had no concept of carry gun features and modifications to enhance them; bobbed hammer-like it has, large easy to pick up fixed sights-like it had, smooth,simple and reliable without sharp edges or hooks.

He normally does real good work. That said when we were discussing the fix for this gun he may have suggested he may give it to someone who could silver solder. That may have been the weak link. I dunno. I won't give him this type of work again.

I was shocked to say the least. The blade was so thin, hooked and razor sharp. It filled about 1/8 or less of the rather large rear sight notch when getting a sight picture. It was near worthless but at least the base seems solid and a rifle sight with a large dot does okay.

It really appeared whoever worked on it had no concept of carry gun features and modifications to enhance them; bobbed hammer-like it has, large easy to pick up fixed sights-like it had, smooth,simple and reliable without sharp edges or hooks.
The dot sight you currently have on it is similar to one I use on several of my revolvers, it is quick to acquire and quite accurate.

Back
Top Bottom