• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Campus Carry

Good for him.

Not sure what the point is.

Jackson Street and Baldwin Street have been thorns in the side of UGA for 150 years because they go right through the campus, and the sidewalks and street belong to the city. (and some other streets that are not so prominent). The city controls the sidewalks for all purposes, beyond concealed weapons, such as street vendors and pedestrian control.

Any map that any one could produce (following the links you posted) will show the sidewalks as public property.

The confusion is compounded because there are cross streets (Sanford Drive) which are visually indistinguishable from say Baldwin Street, which belong to UGA, but are not identified as such.

If you follow UGA football, you may recall Isaiah Crowell, who was stopped on E. Campus Road, which is chock-a-block next to Sanford Stadium and the UGA campus. He was charged with possession of a gun on UGA property, but the charges were ultimately dropped because, in part, he was old enough to possess a handgun in his automobile (19), and he was on a public street and the police had no probable cause to seize the gun (which turned out to have a scratched off serial number.)

I just wanted to point out there is a potential for violating the law by carrying on a sidewalk through a campus in GA. You well may be correct about the sidewalks on those streets, IDK.

Funny how the 2nd amendment was ruled a individual right, just like gay marriage. The university wouldn't even consider violating someone's constitutional right to be together in campus housing, yet they completely ignore the second amendment and the right it affords the individual. Not sure how the college can prevent persons from having their firearm in the housing at the moment. I don't recall the ruling say "except in college housing". Then we have our coward RINO governor who stabbed us in the back last year.

Yes, I know the ninth ruled that concealed carry was not part of it, not sure how they came up with that. Actually I do, they are a bunch of activists and wanted to. The "bear arms" thing didn't mean anything to them. They are also over turned 4/5's of the time. I also suspect we are waiting to appeal that one until we can seat a full court, as there are four justices, and four activists on the court right now.

Funny how the 2nd amendment was ruled a individual right, just like gay marriage. The university wouldn't even consider violating someone's constitutional right to be together in campus housing, yet they completely ignore the second amendment and the right it affords the individual. Not sure how the college can prevent persons from having their firearm in the housing at the moment. I don't recall the ruling say "except in college housing". Then we have our coward RINO governor who stabbed us in the back last year.

Yes, I know the ninth ruled that concealed carry was not part of it, not sure how they came up with that. Actually I do, they are a bunch of activists and wanted to. The "bear arms" thing didn't mean anything to them. They are also over turned 4/5's of the time. I also suspect we are waiting to appeal that one until we can seat a full court, as there are four justices, and four activists on the court right now.

Amazing the mental gymnastics required to regulate, restrict, prohibit and ban the "right" to not be infringed.

The 9th federal court mostly Democrap appointees...

Web search "the most overturned federal court"

I moved here from IN, and over there we didn't have a campus carry bill passed, although we could still carry. Under our state statutes, school property is only defined as those k-12 schools, pre school, day-care, headstart programs, etc. Colleges and universities were not covered. Since carry was not prohibited, it was legal. Although, you could still be expelled for carrying on a college campus if you were a student. Maybe it would be easier and less news-worthy for the Georgia lawmakers to pass a bill changing the definition of a school safety zone to remove the criminal penalty rather than actively stating it is permissible to carry on campus.

I moved here from IN, and over there we didn't have a campus carry bill passed, although we could still carry. Under our state statutes, school property is only defined as those k-12 schools, pre school, day-care, headstart programs, etc. Colleges and universities were not covered. Since carry was not prohibited, it was legal. Although, you could still be expelled for carrying on a college campus if you were a student. Maybe it would be easier and less news-worthy for the Georgia lawmakers to pass a bill changing the definition of a school safety zone to remove the criminal penalty rather than actively stating it is permissible to carry on campus.
The GA Regents(they are the 4th branch of government here) would never allow that as then carry in dorms/sporting events would not be illegal.

Bill was heard by the House Public Safety & Homeland Security Committee yesterday 2/20/17. Lots of anti gunners testifying. No Vote was taken, but expect a vote possibly by the end of the week. It's almost CrossOver Day.

Back
Top Bottom