• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Deer Processors - Can we get a sticky?

I shot a doe last Saturday in Meriwhether and gutted, skinned and quartered her. I only took the hams, shoulders, straps and loins off and packed her in the cooler on ice. Dropped her off at a processor Sunday morning close to my house up here in north Ga and they informed me Monday it was ready for pick up already. I thought it was oddly a quick turn around and the total was over $200 for 27pounds of meat turned into sausage. They charge $120 per deer (even a quartered up deer) for basic cut plus the cost of extras... sausage per pound, fat, jerky etc...
Am I crazy for thinking that is absurd?
Thoughts?
$200 would buy a damn nice grinder.

no kidding! Excellent point
I used to process all my own meat. Got lazy and started using processors but a few weeks back they were all full so had to do two myself. Sliced the backstrap, seperated and sliced the larger muscle groups of the hams and shoulders and ground the rest. Vacuum sealed it all. Took a couple of days but weather was plenty cool and the meat will last up to a week in the cooler if you keep the water drained off and replace ice as needed. Of course I already had the grinder and vacuum sealer.

I used to process all my own meat. Got lazy and started using processors but a few weeks back they were all full so had to do two myself. Sliced the backstrap, seperated and sliced the larger muscle groups of the hams and shoulders and ground the rest. Vacuum sealed it all. Took a couple of days but weather was plenty cool and the meat will last up to a week in the cooler if you keep the water drained off and replace ice as needed. Of course I already had the grinder and vacuum sealer.
Sounds like the way to go these days with processor costs going up. I understand inflation but damn.

$200 would buy a damn nice grinder.

Yep.

So here’s what Rock Acres in Dahlonega is offering for $150.00.
I like the guys but that’s just way too high a price for what used to be $90.00 just a couple years ago.
I understand inflation and all but these guys do a great job, you always get your deer and no mystery meat and the place is really clean and smells good.

Still $150 is a bit high.
I brought this doe in not field dressed so there was a gut fee added.
I was really late getting it dragged out of the woods so I didn’t gut it.
I would assume their gut fee is between $20-$30.

I like the vac sealed packages and the ground meat seems to be in smaller portion sizes which I prefer.

Attachments

• 94218307-CBB8-4925-96A7-60F8E70EA1F7.jpeg
    94218307-CBB8-4925-96A7-60F8E70EA1F7.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 17
Yep.

So here’s what Rock Acres in Dahlonega is offering for $150.00.
I like the guys but that’s just way too high a price for what used to be $90.00 just a couple years ago.
I understand inflation and all but these guys do a great job, you always get your deer and no mystery meat and the place is really clean and smells good.

Still $150 is a bit high.
I brought this doe in not field dressed so there was a gut fee added.
I was really late getting it dragged out of the woods so I didn’t gut it.
I would assume their gut fee is between $20-$30.

I like the vac sealed packages and the ground meat seems to be in smaller portion sizes which I prefer.
Do they sell summer sausage and/or jerky? Seems to me that processors who sell summer sausage never give you as much meat back.

Do they sell summer sausage and/or jerky? Seems to me that processors who sell summer sausage never give you as much meat back.
I would imagine they do but I haven’t asked many questions or got a menu as they seem pretty busy and didn’t have a lot of time to talk.
I’ll try to get more info next time.

Yeah that’s deer I shot wasn’t very big so I’m happy with what I got back but not with the price for sure.

Back
Top Bottom