• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia gun laws

two pages.... 14 posts.... and nobody (NOBODY) has a legal answer that is based on, um, like, a law or something?

Although I'd tend to agree that the fact that 14" barreled firearms that look like Rem 870 shotguns ARE sold at gun shops all across Georgia "is" pretty strong anecdotal evidence that they're legal to sell.

Just like bongs and hookahs are legal-- for legal tobacco.

Just like vibrators are sold at sex shops are sold for --- novelty use only.
Give one to your boss at the office Christmas party as a joke.
Don't actually buy one for your girlfriend and suggest that it should go where the sun don't shine. ('Cuz that would be illegal).

Since this thread's title is GEORGIA GUN LAWS.... I wonder if any readers have my GEORGIA WEAPONS LAWS book to consult? C'mon..... somebody here has one, I know!

IMG_0103.JPG

To the OP:

Do you understand why things like the Shockwave or Tac-14 are legal under FEDERAL law, and not considered "short barreled shotguns" or even an "Any Other Weapon" (AOW)?

Once you understand that, just consider how similar Georgia's laws on NFA type weapons are to the federal NFA laws.
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-2/

The only thing the feds have that we don't, at least not publicly accessible online, are the administrative rules and regulations. ATF puts is regulations out for the public to read, since their regs have the force of law, and ATF will have you arrested and prosecuted on violating a rule or regulation, even if the statutory law passed by Congress doesn't explicitly say what you did is unlawful.
Georgia doesn't publicize its regulations, although they're discoverable in an ongoing case, and probably available through an Open Records Act request too.

I don't "think" Georgia's Department of Public Safety / GBI Crime Lab has any rules that are significantly different than BATF's rules for the federal NFA regarding things like barrel length, overall length, definitions of key terms, etc.

(Although there are some differences regarding things like the definition of a machine gun. Or deactivating a firearm or bomb by making it inoperative. ATF has higher and more rigid rules about how to accomplish that.)

Them short barreled shotguns that are made by the manufacturer are legal cause the gubment gets their cut(tax money).... If you cut one off that you already own( that's illegal) ....cause they don't get they cut of it( tax money)... that's the HONEST truth

Back
Top Bottom