• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Militias

I had some of those yahoos come into the gun shop in Panama City back in the early 90's when Clinton was President with one carrying a Tapco'd out SKS "sniper" rifle. They were trying to recruit "Patriots that's gonna take down the government'" but they were all about 300 pounds, with beer bellies ( must of made their camo out of ponchos) obviously zero prior military training and more chins than a Hong Kong phone book. I told them I bet they wouldn't last a weekend and that just after supper time on saturday night they would have to "Stop the war" while they waddled their fat asses to the nearest buffet. They got all huffy and stormed out after the owner and I started laughing at them and asked which one was Pvt. Pyle. My advice. Stay far, far away!

Sound more like a Meal-eat-cha. ..lol

I bet y'all did have a ribbing good time with them :)

some PT requirements that must be met.

Applicant must:

Perform 12 oz. curl (Requirements: 12 reps in 45 minutes. SF qualifier 24 reps in 30 minutes)

Fridge door pull (2 for 6 x12oz. weights, or 1 for 12 x12 oz. weights)

Must be able to stagger in a relatively straight line for minimum of 4 feet continuous.

Add as needed.

Never known any personally, but I always took them as a joke. I'm sure there are legit ones out there, but if I was to ever make one it would just be some arbitrary "hunting club", no need for unnecessary attention.

Right before I went in the Navy back in 86 I worked with a guy who claimed he was in a Militia group based in west GA that trained with the National Guard on a regular basis.
He invited me to spend the weekend with them but I declined. ..I didn't want to wake up with a size 10 bung hole.

I went to a meeting with a group once and it looked like there was promise. We did a basic rifle course, which could have gone well, except for one of the instructors, while he handled himself well enough in the class, was not an example of fitness for anything, being near 200 pounds overweight, talked a good game to the ignorant, but it only took a little listening to know he was a dreamer, and literally lived in his moms basement.

Went to a follow up meeting with them. I was the new guy in the room. The others had been together for a while. The same guy above talks about the next training, and how he has access to a high level training facility and would talk to them about using explosive sims during the class......

.... and then alludes to his ability to make some pretty high explosive stuff (specifically NOT tannerite) himself to bring along for some after class fun.

I didn't get up an leave right then, but left moments later shaking my head and the stupidity and lack of security that the "security" team was exhibiting.

So I've been doing some digging, out of curiosity more than anything. Are these GA militias that have websites and all that (gamilitia.com) legit? As a naturally pessimistic person, I have my initial reactions, but I'm curious if any of you have ever engaged with one of those (we can talk through PM if you want), and if they have actually been of any benefit in the survival, training etc category.

All the 'militias' I've ever seen or been to meetings (not in the field, just in meeting rooms) were comprised of folks that a.) had no or little prior service or training and b.) were itching for a fight. Those two qualifiers were enough to make me leave smdh.

The cliff notes history is that there was Georgia Militia and Militia of Georgia. Both leaders were "generals" or "colonels" and got into it a few times both publicly and in the early interweb days like kids on a playground. I think both lost any remaining credibility at that time, combined with the Freeman militia up north getting in federal trouble, and viper militia getting nailed. .Gov worked to discredit private militias, so many were dissolved.
I remember these guys from post-Waco period at the shows in GA. I would drive down from SC to visit family and the militia would have recruiting tables at the Eastman shows. I was singularly uninspired.

There should be a ODT militia. We could just openly wear camo, talk about guns and drink beer with no effort to train at all. Every M&G could be a meeting where dues are taken up to supply booze to the next meet.
That's Buck-o-Rama.

Back
Top Bottom