• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Weapons Carry License

Yet not specifically enumerated. Total feeling and inference.
I'm just going to assume you have never taken an undergraduate level Civics/American Government/Law class and just agree to disagree with you.

download.jpg

I'm just going to assume you have never taken an undergraduate level Civics/American Government/Law class and just agree to disagree with you.

View attachment 5349331
Oh. BS. Look up the word enumerated. The rights were enumerated in the Constitution. That affirmation is the government law that I originally referred to, not the DOI.

I always laugh when people say states like FL and TX are the most gun friendly. We are actually well ahead of both of them in most cases here in GA if you look at the big picture.

For instance TX still has the ridiculous "30-06" rules that put the force of law behind 'no guns' signs. And if you want a binary trigger in FL, forget it. They have a law that bans things that can increase your rate of fire.

They may both get to be as good as GA eventually, but we have some of the best gun laws in the US right now.

I always laugh when people say states like FL and TX are the most gun friendly. We are actually well ahead of both of them in most cases here in GA if you look at the big picture.

For instance TX still has the ridiculous "30-06" rules that put the force of law behind 'no guns' signs. And if you want a binary trigger in FL, forget it. They have a law that bans things that can increase your rate of fire.

They may both get to be as good as GA eventually, but we have some of the best gun laws in the US right now.
While I agree in principle that GA is now finally getting to be on par with many 2A states (I won't speak ill of the dead), the whole "force of law for signs" things is always an odd burr to me. This comes up in regards to TN I think as well TX is a huge property rights state. Given their history, makes sense. There is very little "public" (taxpayer bought) land in TX, compared to GA. A lot of large ranches obviously. Property rights tend to trump all. Heck you can retain mineral rights in perpetuity. It follows that private businesses can dictate what they want on their properties. Zero issue with that personally. So in Georgia, the owner has to tell you to leave. In Texas, that conversation is saved, if the property owner chooses.
Anecdotal observation. I've seen a LOT more people carrying in TX than Georgia. I was at a large convention recently (in TX) and I would characterize the attendees as not 2A friendly "IF" I was going to stereotype (music and academia). I removed my jacket and unknowingly exposed my carry gun in the process. Walked around for I don't know how long before realizing it. No one batted an eye. I can't swear there was a sign posted but given the venue, I suspect there was. Point being, how 2A friendly a state is, depends on how 2A friendly it actually is.
Restrictions on public land are a problem. Private, is a double edge sword. Unfortunately, conservative beliefs tend to always get the wrong side of that sword.

Oh. BS. Look up the word enumerated. The rights were enumerated in the Constitution. That affirmation is the government law that I originally referred to, not the DOI.

Enumerate - mention (a number of things) one by one.

Yes the God-given unalienable rights were listed in the constitution and Bill of Rights in a one by one fashion. They specifically outlined rights that the government cannot take away, as these rights are not granted by the government, but by god/simply being human.

tenor.png

While I agree in principle that GA is now finally getting to be on par with many 2A states (I won't speak ill of the dead), the whole "force of law for signs" things is always an odd burr to me. This comes up in regards to TN I think as well TX is a huge property rights state. Given their history, makes sense. There is very little "public" (taxpayer bought) land in TX, compared to GA. A lot of large ranches obviously. Property rights tend to trump all. Heck you can retain mineral rights in perpetuity. It follows that private businesses can dictate what they want on their properties. Zero issue with that personally. So in Georgia, the owner has to tell you to leave. In Texas, that conversation is saved, if the property owner chooses.
Anecdotal observation. I've seen a LOT more people carrying in TX than Georgia. I was at a large convention recently (in TX) and I would characterize the attendees as not 2A friendly "IF" I was going to stereotype (music and academia). I removed my jacket and unknowingly exposed my carry gun in the process. Walked around for I don't know how long before realizing it. No one batted an eye. I can't swear there was a sign posted but given the venue, I suspect there was. Point being, how 2A friendly a state is, depends on how 2A friendly it actually is.
Restrictions on public land are a problem. Private, is a double edge sword. Unfortunately, conservative beliefs tend to always get the wrong side of that sword.

I agree with the private land argument, after all you are there at the sufferance of owner.

What bothers me is when 'private' land is open to the public. Places like restaurants and hotels for example.

To my mind those are a very different kind of 'private' property than someones house or ranch. You are specifically inviting the general public in for those kinds of facilities.

Personally, I prefer the way GA (and most other states) handle the issue. If it's not a public place you can simply be asked to leave, without any penalty. In TX (and a few other states) there are legal repercussions for simply being on the premises.

Years ago when I was in Houston for work I happened to be there just after the NRA convention that year. As I was walking into the hotel I noticed they had put up one of the 30-06 notices.

It turned out they did that just before the NRAAM and a whole bunch of people were caught flat-footed when their booked hotel told them they legally weren't allowed to have a gun in their room.

I'm sure a lot of folks ignored it, but again, if they were caught somehow there would be real, legal issues around it.

Overall, TX isn't a 'bad' gun state, I definitely agree with you there. In fact it's one of the better ones. But it's not the be-all, end-all that people seem to think.

You are specifically inviting the general public in for those kinds of facilities.

Overall, TX isn't a 'bad' gun state, I definitely agree with you there. In fact it's one of the better ones. But it's not the be-all, end-all that people seem to think.
But that's the thing. You are not inviting "the general public". You are inviting just those who are willing to abide by your rules as the property owner. "No shirt, no shoes, no service". I personally appreciate businesses being clear about their prejudices. It allows me to know who to avoid. And I'm not saying that as some lame internet chest thumping. I'm being genuine. I try and spend my money on businesses that support my values, and avoid those that don't. Signage makes it much easier. But then again, I'm in the "you should be able to deny anyone service for any reason, or no reason" camp. I personally would never "bake that cake".
As far as "be all end all" gun law state, I'm unaware of any state that would qualify. All gun laws are clearly unconstitutional. Some states are simply less statist than others.

Your GWL has no reciprocity in those states. If you conceal carried in those states you were breaking the law. Check my comment edit with the map. It's almost truly worthless. It's like a six flags, FFL-fast pass, lmao.
Concealed means concealed.

Also, my GWP gives me cover in 35/50 states. I wouldn't call that "almost truly worthless."

Also, also...I don't remember the last time I filled out a 4473, so skipping the NICS check isn't even a factor for me.

Back
Top Bottom