• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get a compass

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
I'm refreshing my hiking/get-home bags and was looking through some old GHB/BOB threads here. There's been a lot of good content lists posted, but I'm shocked how many of those lists are missing a compass. Some of those lists were pretty long and complete, but missing a compass. I felt like a PSA post is needed.

Get a decent compass.
Those little button compasses that come in survival kits usually suck. I don't even think they reliably point north. If it's cloudy and your phone doesn't have service, a compass can save you. It can at least save you a lot of time making sure you don't get turned around in between known landmarks/roads.

I am no compass expert and only have a loose grasp of orienteering, but here's some less-expensive suggestions:
Brunton TruArc 3 - Compact with some minimal extra features
Suunto A-10 - A little step up from the Brunton with a little more size to it

Learn to use it.
It sounds pretty self explanatory but a few youtube videos can give you some tips on how to get unlost with a compass. Basic knowledge of orienteering and declination would be useful to know too. Worth stating that you can't have any metal near it when using it (like a watch).

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. I'm helping my kids setup their first hiking bags too since they're to the age they might wander off now.

I keep one in each of my vehicles, daily carry bag, & emergency bags. I don't like the idea of having to rely on electronics. If there were ever a need to know which direction to go if you're forced to take the woods, a compass will help get me home.

I tend to use them most often for navigating new streets when I can't get my bearings like during the night or in a storm. Helps direct me to an area I'm familiar with or a major hwy.

I have a very nice one that was made in Sweden. Looked for another and couldn't find one. They went through a series of ownership changes and are now chinesium.

It's unfortunate, but that's how the trend seems to go these days. Quality companies can't compete with cheap Chinese products, then get bought out by people from China to profit from the original's reputation.

It won't be long before people start making a habit of not buying Chinese products.

Back
Top Bottom