• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting back into reloading after 5 year break

Of course it makes sense to reload components one already has on hand, but would it make economic sense to reload if one had to buy them to get started at today's prices?
Cost of primers probably not. Ammo prices are still high. Whether that is proportional to powder and primers I dont know. I reload for accuracy in my rifles. Cost is irrelevant. Pistol...my time is worth more than any potential savings on 9mm.

Of course it makes sense to reload components one already has on hand, but would it make economic sense to reload if one had to buy them to get started at today's prices?
That was my exact thoughts when I decided to start reloading again. I was thinking I got between 8 and 10 thousand each of small pistol primers, magnum pistol primers, large rifle primers. 42 lbs of various powders, and umpteen thousand 38/357, 9 mm, 380, 243 and 30-0-06 projectiles. I was worried I may have to spend a small fortune on powder just to start back.

For the record though I lost all my reloading supplies in a boating accident

That was my exact thoughts when I decided to start reloading again. I was thinking I got between 8 and 10 thousand each of small pistol primers, magnum pistol primers, large rifle primers. 42 lbs of various powders, and umpteen thousand 38/357, 9 mm, 380, 243 and 30-0-06 projectiles. I was worried I may have to spend a small fortune on powder just to start back.

For the record though I lost all my reloading supplies in a boating accident
Boating accident huh..lol

Welcome back to reloading. Most shooters cannot (or do not) reload, however those of us that do understand how unique it is across the board of shooters. Fun, fun & fun!! There is nothing "boring" about it to me, including removing crimps, case gauge checking each case,, sorting and visually looking at each and everyone of them. Am I a better reloader doing all this? Probably not, however to take my time and fully enjoy it goes a long way to being satisfied in life. God bless you my reloading brother... take your time, read a bit and always remember this: 1) Quality vs quantity every time! 2) You will never, ever save a dime reloading... however it sure is fun making you very own "custom ammo"! Enjoy!!

Welcome back to reloading. Most shooters cannot (or do not) reload, however those of us that do understand how unique it is across the board of shooters. Fun, fun & fun!! There is nothing "boring" about it to me, including removing crimps, case gauge checking each case,, sorting and visually looking at each and everyone of them. Am I a better reloader doing all this? Probably not, however to take my time and fully enjoy it goes a long way to being satisfied in life. God bless you my reloading brother... take your time, read a bit and always remember this: 1) Quality vs quantity every time! 2) You will never, ever save a dime reloading... however it sure is fun making you very own "custom ammo"! Enjoy!!
Not only is it fun but it is very, VERY relaxing. I too always put quality over quantity every time. I ALWAYS double check each and every case individually and also check every one before I seat a bullet to make sure none look “too full” of powder.

One thing I like about reloading is I can tailor my loads for softer or faster training loads and lead bullets. Pure enjoyment.
I like that I can step in my garage and load mild DEWC loads for my airweight snub and lot easier than I can find wadcutters in stock and the closest possibility is 40 mins away

I have powder that is WAY over 20 years....more like 30....I would not hesitate to use it.....check it??? maybe
in fact I just used some H1000 that I'm pretty sure was over 25 years old....chronograph speeds matching published loads...

Back
Top Bottom