• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting gear to do some surf fishing at St.George Island this summer

I usually use 1/2 ounce but depending on the surf or tide you may have to use up to one ounce or 1 1/2 ounce weights. off shore you would need 2-3 ounce weights. Fresh water you usually use 3/8 oz.

I was using 3oz on Tybee last fall in the surf. That's as light as I could go and keep bait in place.

Man I've taken a trip to St George island every year since I was 15. I started my own business this year so I won't be able to go and I'm pretty bummed about it. Best oysters you can eat down there. I usually fill a cooler with vacuum sealed filets. My two favorite fish to eat from that area is Whitting and Black tip shark. I've caught some good Black tips off the old bridge and on the beach. I catch whiting on the surf in the afternoons with lightweight line and tackle. (Live shrimp in a bucket with a bubble box) You really don't need anything special to fish the bay, what you have should be fine. Just remember to hose everything off every day when you get done. And some fish are toothy so a leader is a must. I caught a 4' Black tip on 20 lb mono with a big Abu Garcia spinning reel and a 10ft rod.

I was using 3oz on Tybee last fall in the surf. That's as light as I could go and keep bait in place.
Yes I chartered out of Darian and the tides there are up to seven foot, I was referring to the gulf with my info, so yes you will need more weight and more reel on the ga coast.

You can ask most anglers local or bait shops and they will steer you pretty good. Maybe not on the expensive tackle but generally surf fishing involves just weight to hold you down and 2-3 circle hooks, I did not mention circle in my last reply, but when you use them and get a bite do not pull just reel as fast as you can and it will set it's self, if you jerk you are out of luck.

Thanks going to Pawleys Island in July so I will try it. I loved fishing as a kid (Dad took me hunting and fishing often) sadly life gets in the way. Time to go back to the good life.

Fresh bait is key. A cast net is a plus otherwise you'll go broke buying bait. I went out on the bridge with some fresh pogeys that I netted and caught a few Spanish mackerel when no one else was even getting a bite using frozen shrimp and squid.

Fresh bait is key. A cast net is a plus otherwise you'll go broke buying bait. I went out on the bridge with some fresh pogeys that I netted and caught a few Spanish mackerel when no one else was even getting a bite using frozen shrimp and squid.
yep white fish is the key, we call them l 'ys in the gulf, you can float them under cajin thunder and kill the trout over grass.

We filled a cooler with trout off the beach down on the park end a couple times. Just frozen bait, circle hooks and 2oz. weights. Flounder up by the cut. Can't give away our super secret honeyhole though!

IMG_1311.JPG
yep white fish is the key, we call them l 'ys in the gulf, you can float them under cajin thunder and kill the trout over grass.
Yessir, look like these? I was catching probably 80-100 on one net throw one time when I was down there. I took them and put them in ziplock baggies and froze them. Used it for bait all week and caught a ton of fish. It was either early April or early October, that's when I go because those are usually the two best times to fish. Whenever water temp is around 70.

We filled a cooler with trout off the beach down on the park end a couple times. Just frozen bait, circle hooks and 2oz. weights. Flounder up by the cut. Can't give away our super secret honeyhole though!
I've got a honey hole as well, it's a house on the bay side, where the river channel comes out and makes a 90 degree turn, the water off the end of the dock is about 9 ft deep right there and it's about 5-6 feet all around it or less. Sadly you can no longer rent the house out.

Back
Top Bottom