• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting gear to do some surf fishing at St.George Island this summer

End of June is a really good time and will open up a good many options. There is a good trout bite in the surf in June/July as they come into spawn. The best bite is the last hour before dark. All you need is a white Zoom fluke fish weightless and a small generic hard jerkbait. These fish will be in close so you don't need to throw your arm off. Most of your bites will be right in the wave wash.

A trip to the far East End will be productive as well. Lots of spanish move around the tip. A Gotcha or spoon will work well and also pick up more ladyfish than you care to catch. You can in turn put out chunks of lady fish for sharks, tarpon, jacks and bull reds. Half decent proficiency with a cast net should get all the bait you need on spot as well. Either live bait or chunk bait can be fished on bottom. I'd use at minimum 1 oz and current may require heavier. Steel leaders or heavy fluoro are a must. Size your cirlce hook to the bait anywhere from a 1/0 to 8/0. You will hook some fish that you never slow down.

The best spot IMO is the Youth Camp boat ramp in the State Park. The channel swings right by the shore and between two oyster bars. It is an amazing natural funnel that the fish use as a highway. You can net all the finger multet, pinfish, and mud minnows on site. You should have no problem catching reds, trout, flounder, and anything else that swims in the bay right there. I like a 1 oz sinker, 30lb leader, and a 1/0 kahle or circle hook. Get a couple rod holders and put the bait in the channel. It shouldn't take long to get a bite. The tide needs to be moving and I prefer a hard outgoing. It will pull the fish out of the grass and congregate them. In the following picture, outgoing tide is to the right, incoming to the left. The fish will get to the far right yellow lines on an outgoing. There will be a current seam there and thats where the fish sit. While letting bait soak on bottom you can also throw and gulp shrimp jig combo.

Attachments

• st.george.JPG
    st.george.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom