• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting into reloading and am looking for 4350

My opinion: Temperature Insensitivity is all the rage, making H4350 a little more popular than the other 4350’s. I do not concern myself with this aspect of the powders in most cases, as I, myself, am Temperature Sensitive. The powder will only get used between 40 and 95 degrees with me and not much variation occurs over that temperature range, if you stick to the published load data. My target shooting guns are not used when it is uncomfortable outside, and my hunting guns are always “accurate enough” here in Georgia.

I use AA4350 in my 243, only because I bought 10 pounds several years ago. It is a larger stick powder, and must be hand weighed and then shaken down into the case to get the entire load to fit in the case of some calibers.

AA4350, H4350, IMR4350, and SW4350 will all give similar results. The powder charge for a given velocity will vary slightly. AA4451 is an excellent powder to try if you are using 4350. You might also look at AA2700.

Tumbler for cleaning brass..... I have been using a rock tumbler from harbor freight for years. It is a dual drum that I use SS pins with dawn dish soap and lemon shine.... brass comes out looking like jewels. If you punch the old primers first, even the primer pockets are better than new. The drums are heavy rubber and it really cuts down on the noise which I find obnoxious with the ones that use plastic drums, and it keeps the water warm for hours which the plastics ones dont. The level of cleaning between cold water and hot water is significant. I did buy one of the larger machines designed to wet tumbler, but after just a few runs I sold it. It was too loud and the brass was not as clean. The only down side to the rock tumbler is the size. I can do about 75 pieces of 270 win in one run. It holds a good bit of 223 or handgun brass, but I'd use 2 of them if I was doing higher volume.
I have a friend that runs huge volume of 223/556 or 9mm range brass in a cement mixer, but they don't come nearly as clean as mine do. They are clean enough, but I want mine better than new.

If you go the wet tumble route remember that if you don't punch the old primers before cleaning that it takes a long time for the primer pockets to dry out. I've done handgun brass that the pockets were still wet a week after setting out to air dry. I ended up punching the old primers after cleaning and let them air dry another day before I reloaded them, I should have punched primers before cleaning, it's an extra step with a universal decapping die, but this way the primer pockets are clean also.

H4350 seems be THE powder for 6.5 Creedmoor but there are lots of other options in that cartridge. Look at reloading manuals, webpages, etc. and you will see some options. Check Hogdon's own internet page for options. Should be able to find some once-fires 6.5CM brass too. Check Nosler's internet site for projectiles too. Good luck
Truprep got some 4350 in, I would call ahead first

IMR 4451 and Alliant RL16 are really close to h4350 in burn speed and temp stability. In truth, IMR will always be easier to find in times of drought compared to any of the reloader/extreme series powders. RL is made by bofors in Sweden. Hodgdon extreme powders by Thales in Australia. Both require a boat trip and stay in customs.

IMR is Canadian manufactured. You can look at powders in the PowerPro line or stuff like CFE or BLC2 which are made by St.Marks in Florida. Shorter travel times and shorter customs stays. All other things being equal.

Title says it. If anybody has some to spare I’ll be happy to purchase it, trade for it or whatever we can work out. Also if anybody has any large rifle primers I’d take a couple hundo of them too. Thanks in advance. Also if anybody has an electric tumbler they want to sale let me know. I believe I am going to cabelas today to pick up the rcbs electric powder trickler, pricy but it seems well worth the investment (correct me if I’m wrong please.)
I got3 hole rooms full of equipment brass and leads etc tons of dies to boot cabinets loaders cleaning tables must go best reasonable offer

Back
Top Bottom