• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting ready for them turkeys!

Just remember with the TSS you need a choke thats rated for it. Thats the only thing that's kept me from getting any yet. I've been thinking about getting some but those Longbeards in #5 shot are cheaper and deadly.
I don’t believe in that whole TSS choke business. It sounds like a marketing ploy to increase sales. I’ve been running heavier than lead loads through an old Colonial Star Dot choke in my Mossberg 500A ever since the heavyweight loads came out and I’ve never had a single issue with that choke tube.

I got my order from Amazon. It was Carlson's extended turkey choke, not a Trulock.
I tested it today, but only with #8 birdshot.
The shotgun's patterns tightened up by about 33%.
And I could be 10 yards farther from the target with this turkey choke, and get the same patterns I used to get from 10 yards closer with the standard Mossberg "FULL" choke tube.
So I'm happy with it.
However, I need to test it with bigger shot. Turkey and waterfowl loads, 3", and some buckshot loads.

I got my order from Amazon. It was Carlson's extended turkey choke, not a Trulock.
And I could be 10 yards farther from the target with this turkey choke, and get the same patterns I used to get from 10 yards closer with the standard Mossberg "FULL" choke tube.
So I'm happy with it.
However, I need to test it with bigger shot. Turkey and waterfowl loads, 3", and some buckshot loads.
It may be to tight for buckshot

So I'm happy with it.
Don’t shoot buckshot out of a turkey choke! Or that’s what I’ve always been told.

Neither the package, nor the paperwork thst came with my Carlson's extended turkey choke, nor the manufactures website, has any prohibition about using lead buckshot, or any large sized lead birdshot, through their turkey chokes.

There is a restriction on steel shot though.
For my choke, which is only one step above a standard "full" choke, I can use steel shot up to size number 4 birdshot.

Carlsons makes two other extended turkey chokes that are a little tighter than the one I ordered, and for those NO steel shot is allowed.
But even for those I did not see any restriction on lead pellets, birdshot, or lead buckshot.

My shotgun is 20 gauge, so I could never find 00 buckshot for it. I only found one box of #1 buck, and generally most stores only carry #2 or #3 Buck in that gauge.

Neither the package, nor the paperwork thst came with my Carlson's extended turkey choke, nor the manufactures website, has any prohibition about using lead buckshot, or any large sized lead birdshot, through their turkey chokes.

There is a restriction on steel shot though.
For my choke, which is only one step above a standard "full" choke, I can use steel shot up to size number 4 birdshot.

Carlsons makes two other extended turkey chokes that are a little tighter than the one I ordered, and for those NO steel shot is allowed.
But even for those I did not see any restriction on lead pellets, birdshot, or lead buckshot.

My shotgun is 20 gauge, so I could never find 00 buckshot for it. I only found one box of #1 buck, and generally most stores only carry #2 or #3 Buck in that gauge.
Let it knaw

Back
Top Bottom