• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting ready for them turkeys!

Can't wait to call in some Toms!
This will be my third year turkey hunting and early season is always the best for me.

Last season me and a buddy got into a blind early am and called 3 in but they stayed just out of range and strutted away not long after.

We got up and moved along the river edge to get up ahead of them and I called but forgot to use a locator call first and brought them in without our blind or decoys set up. We dropped to the ground prone watching them come in again just out of range and then they literally just disappeared like ninjas.

So we repeated again moving up along the river to cut them off. We setup our blind and decoys and called for over an hour but it was dead silent. So we packed up and walked not 50yds from where our blind was with my buddy leading up this small hill. He then starts shouting my name and trying to shoot but his safety is on. I got up to the top of the hill to see 3 turkeys hauling ass down the hill and out of sight.

He said he nearly stepped on them when he walked up that hill they were so close. I got a good laugh from it and wondered if those were the same turkeys we been following all day lol.

That was my top favorite turkey day experience. Hopefully this year will be just as good! You don't have to get the birds to enjoy it! Gobble Gobble ya'll.

I don’t believe in that whole TSS choke business. It sounds like a marketing ploy to increase sales. I’ve been running heavier than lead loads through an old Colonial Star Dot choke in my Mossberg 500A ever since the heavyweight loads came out and I’ve never had a single issue with that choke tube.

TSS chokes are a marketing tactic. People hand loaded it for years before the chokes came out. I’ve Ben shooting it out of a primos Jellyhead for about 8 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to call in some Toms!
This will be my third year turkey hunting and early season is always the best for me.

Last season me and a buddy got into a blind early am and called 3 in but they stayed just out of range and strutted away not long after.

We got up and moved along the river edge to get up ahead of them and I called but forgot to use a locator call first and brought them in without our blind or decoys set up. We dropped to the ground prone watching them come in again just out of range and then they literally just disappeared like ninjas.

So we repeated again moving up along the river to cut them off. We setup our blind and decoys and called for over an hour but it was dead silent. So we packed up and walked not 50yds from where our blind was with my buddy leading up this small hill. He then starts shouting my name and trying to shoot but his safety is on. I got up to the top of the hill to see 3 turkeys hauling ass down the hill and out of sight.

He said he nearly stepped on them when he walked up that hill they were so close. I got a good laugh from it and wondered if those were the same turkeys we been following all day lol.

That was my top favorite turkey day experience. Hopefully this year will be just as good! You don't have to get the birds to enjoy it! Gobble Gobble ya'll.

Some bird are just that way. When selecting a place to set up, you have to be set up in a spot where they want to be, not where you want them to be. Try to set one person out front and the person calling drops back about 75-100 yards in an attempt to pull the birds through the front person’s setup.

8DDA7ABA-E426-4166-83D5-AF05FF32CD63.jpeg
8EFCE109-8156-4E7E-8885-74D93845F4FE.jpeg
Anyone else appreciate a nice handmade turkey call? I made a wingbone call from last years gobbler and am excited to try it out in 2 weeks.

I’d like to know exactly how you did that so I can make one from my next turkey. I’ve always wanted to do so and call one in to my gun with it.
It’s pretty easy to build the call, the hard part is learning how to use it. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to make it. Basically there’s 3 bones in the wing, you take them out, clean them, boil them, cut the ends off and clean again, then epoxy them together. Good luck this coming season :thumb:

Went and got me the academy special today. My maverick just felt too big for maneuvering. Got the ata semi auto, it takes beretta chokes. I put a kicks choke on it and will be patterning it Tuesday probably.
20190317_161212.jpg
20190317_162457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom