• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting ready for them turkeys!

I see so many turkey during deer season, and I've seen one Tom in 5 years. Called them plenty, but they've had more attractive birds coming to them!
They normally move come spring,we seldom see any in winter but they will have there on flock of hens around fields come spring,the hens will be nesting nearby,i was told they feed on grasshoppers and bugs come spring where there food choice is different in winter.

I've even tried going out and sitting the same stands I saw them during deer season. Nothing.
The land that I lease is exactly the same. I see a lot of turkeys during deer season, but they are elsewhere during the spring. We have a few that seem to pass through our land on occasion, but you have to be there at the right time to get one. I manage to get one off of there every now and then.

Patterned the new shotgun this evening. 35 yards. I'll take it. Better patterns than the mossberg with the longer barrel
20190319_195047.jpg

The land that I lease is exactly the same. I see a lot of turkeys during deer season, but they are elsewhere during the spring. We have a few that seem to pass through our land on occasion, but you have to be there at the right time to get one. I manage to get one off of there every now and then.
ours is opposite. We rarely see them in the fall and get more and more in the spring. Got 3 decent turkeys on camera where I plan to finish my day Saturday at.

Patterned the new shotgun this evening. 35 yards. I'll take it. Better patterns than the mossberg with the longer barrel View attachment 2055232

ours is opposite. We rarely see them in the fall and get more and more in the spring. Got 3 decent turkeys on camera where I plan to finish my day Saturday at.

Good luck. That pattern looks evenly dispersed. Even if your aim is off a tad when lining up on a bird you should still be ok.

thanks! That's what I'm thinking. I'm chomping at the bit for Saturday, my first opening day of Turkey season..
Good luck, have fun, and scout for deer sign while you are out. Learn from your mistakes and try to avoid making them again. I’ve been turkey hunting for decades and I learn new things quite often.
One of my biggest rookie mistakes was not keeping my cheek on the stock. I shot over the heads of quite a few birds. It’s easy to get caught up enjoying the show! When you call one in and he comes in spitting and drumming while in full strut you’ll be hooked for life!

Good luck to all you turkey smashers,I will be at the lake trying to eradidcate the crappie for the next 10 days.

I've been turkey hunting 3 times in my life and didnt even remotely enjoy anything about it. I can't comprehend how people prefer turkey hunting over deer hunting, but good luck to those of you gettting out there after them.

Back
Top Bottom