• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting Started Handloading for the 300 Win mag.

Rugerfan

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
24   1
Reaction score
Well it is just about time to get the handloading started again. It has been 20 years since I have reloaded.

Any of ya'll have any pet loads for the 300 Win mag? Was thinking about 7828 powder, and some Hornady 165 Grain SST bullets. Gonna try to come close the Hornaday Factory Ammo, since my rifle tends to like those the best so far.

Thanks for any info.

I've had really good performance out of the the 180gr Hornady. It's a round nose with lot's of lead up front, but in all but one of the many 300 Wins I've used this in has this not been MOA or better shooter @ 100yds. I'll have to look up the particulars, but RL 19 and RL 22 are great performers in the 300 too, and both meter very well. If it's been a while since you loaded, have you tried the Lee neck dies? Before I used them I used to partial size with full a lengthed die, by placing a nickel between the shellholder and die base. The Lee die allows you to size only the neck without any lube, and a whole lot less wear and tear on your arm and the brass. Of course I'm assuming you're using a bolt rifle. A friend has told me of his success with the 165 Combined Technology Ballistic Silver Tips. He's using RL 19 with his too. I've used the SST's in 280 Rem and 308 Win, with great accuracy results, and at close range (100 yds and under) at these velocities, they hold together much better than the standard Nosler Ballistic Tips I've used in the last 10 yrs or so. I've had the Noslers' turn to sand in whitetail at 75yds using the 150gr. in a 308? I've loaded quite a bit for the 300 over the last 25 yrs., so I'll try to dig up some of my old data and post it for you later. Good Luck, and Welcome back to loading! Chuckdog.

thanks fella's

And yes I am shooting a Ruger M77 Mark II 300 win mag. My rifle does not seem to be to finiky about ammo. Last year I did a test. I shot 3 shots using 165 grain SST's (hornady ammo) , 3 shots of 150 Grain Hot Cors ( Federal Ammo) and 3 shots of 180 grain (winchester ammo) . The 165 SST's were in a 3/8" group, the 150 grain Hot cors in a 5/8" group and the 180's were in a 1/2" group. The only ammo that I have shot, and it has been over an inch is the 180 Grain Core Lokts from remington.

And yes I shot a deer with the 165 grain SST's and 60 yards, hit in the neck. Killed it deader than dead, but the neck and parts of the front shoulders were destroyed.

I have tried the 200 Grain combined technolgy bullets in my 338, and they do quite well in grouping on paper. I have not tried these on game yet.

Last edited:
I don't load any of the belted magnums but I have used IMR 7828 in the .300 ultra mag and the 25-06. It didn't give me the accuracy I was looking for and so I used the old stand by IMR 4350.

Back
Top Bottom